Sloe gin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Well, that's 800 grams of sloes with the skins cut, 300 grams of sugar and one 1 litre bottle of Sainbury's gin in the big 2 litre jar....hope it's worth it.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've just taken the gin off of this year's batches. The trial one using brown sugar is very nice indeed!
I've left the sloe in, added more sugar and put a bottle of cheap vodka in with them to get a second hit - I'll let you know how that comes out!

Cheers

Dave

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I'm dying to dive into the 3lb sloe gin chutney I made last christmas from the remaining sloes of the gin of christmas 2008. Me and the missus are planning on bariccading oursleves into the new flat with a cheeseboard, a mountain of oatcakes and the chutney for christmas.

Me and Dunc have gone halfers on a demi john of the stuff this year. Dunc got us some liquor from somebody's still in the woods. hehheh.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Never thought of reusing the sloes with vodka and brown sugar alternative too I like that idea Dave. I've got a 2 litre jar and 3 litre jar that I'll be decanting this week. The 2 litre I went posh with and used Bombay Sapphire gin which I love and was on offer. Slightly extravagant but hey it's Christmas.
Locum76 How did you make the chutney? I used the destoned berries one year and mixed them with 70% dark chocolate was beautiful but found destoning the sloes to be a bit of a pain.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
:banghead:
I'm dying to dive into the 3lb sloe gin chutney I made last christmas from the remaining sloes of the gin of christmas 2008. Me and the missus are planning on bariccading oursleves into the new flat with a cheeseboard, a mountain of oatcakes and the chutney for christmas.

Me and Dunc have gone halfers on a demi john of the stuff this year. Dunc got us some liquor from somebody's still in the woods. hehheh.

Bah. Sloe gin chutney, genius! I just threw out last year's berries after decanting the last if the gin into my hippy. I'll have to wait until next year for that one. :banghead:

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I just sat and destoned them using my fingers. It was alright as the task was ehnaced by the last of the gin. I got the recipe from sloe.biz

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
sloe gin, then slider (gin soaked sloes in cider) then sloe and blackberry chutney. Making good use of the sloes

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
i've got two rather full bottles on the go this year, next i'm planning a whole heck of a lot more, but my plan for the sloes once done its to de-stone then dip in chocolate :D

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Update - I've just decanted the sloe gin through a coffee filter (and it took ages....) into the original bottle, with a wee taster glass and 3/4 of a hip flask for my troubles.

I'm wondering if I should have left it for longer, but almost three months seems to have worked well.

The problem is that, although the stuff tastes far far better than the original gin (I'm Scottish, and a confirmed Scotch Malt Whisky drinker from age 17), I'm not massively sure I like it....might just make sloe schapps/vodka this autumn.

Ho hum

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
The longer u can bear to leave it - the better it will be, also the more sugar u add will make a thicker, more syrupy it will be and cling all the way down!!!!

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Don't bin your sloes, add some more sugar and a bottle of vodka and wait again for 3-6 months to get sloe vodka, hmmm!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE