slightly felty Wool Advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

DiamondAl

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2008
Nederland
As per the above title, I wear a lot of wool, and mostly wash it by hand, but thought I would try the wool programme in the washing machine, low temp, detergent specifically for wool, very short rinse, gentle wash programme etc.

Works very well for most woolens, but one jumper thickened up slightly, and I would like to relax it again. Any suggestions from the more knowledgeable on the forum would be most gratefully received,

Regards,

Alan

DiamondAl

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2008
Nederland
Apologies for not posting this in the Clothing, but my thoughts were that knowledgeable people like Toddy were probably more likely to see it here and maybe have a solution. I have looked on G**gle but I am not entirely sure I trust a suggestion that starts with warm water, and I dont know if I fancy the idea of Borax then vinegar.

Regards

Alan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Hello :)

Eh, not really much you can do about it now. You can very gently shape it back to size (if it'll go, it might if it's not badly felted) when it's damp. Lay it flat and keep it cold to dry if it does work. It's a couple of mm by a couple of mm at a time though, and needs patience.
If it's gone tight though, you have no chance of stretching it back to size :sigh:

The borax/vinegar sort of relaxes the wool, but it won't undo felting.

Gentle manipulation of the entire garment is probably your best chance of fixing it.

Sorry not to be of more help.

atb,
M

DiamondAl

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2008
Nederland
Hi Toddy,:)

Many thanks for coming back with an answer, it is a favorite jumper, will try the gentle streching, it has not shrunk enough to be unwearable, just enough to be noticeable, may try the Borax/Vinegar, if the gentle streching is not getting it, but I knew that with your fabric experience you would know more than I do.

Note to self, never put this pully in the machine again.

Regards, and thanks,

Alan

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It has to be worth trying the gentle manipulation then :)

Wool is a kind of hair, it is best in slightly acidic conditions. That's why they'll be using the vinegar in the final rinse.
Borax is used in many cleaners/bleach compounds for laundry, but it can be harsh on wool. Use carefully on a garment you'll wear next to your skin.

Tbh, I'd suggest washing again gently with either pure soap or shampoo, no more that just warm water, and then adding loads of conditioner before you try to reblock your jumper.
That way you won't damage anything, the luke warm water will soften the wool and you can see if it'll ease out any.
If it doesn't then you'll still be able to wear the jumper and it'll still feel good to wear :)

Best of luck with it.

M

DiamondAl

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2008
Nederland
Hi Toddy,

More very sensible, and knowledgeable advice, which I will use within the next couple of days, and will report back how it goes. I would prefer to try the gentle approach first, before resorting to the Borax. Many thanks again for the good advice.

Regards,

Alan

DiamondAl

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2008
Nederland
Sorry for the delay in getting back about this. Eventually found time today to handwash with very cool water and soap specifically for wool and silk, and final rinse with conditioner, felt the jumper free up straight away, it is now drying flat in a cool place in the garden and I am turning it from time to time and pulling on it as I move it. Will report back with final results when dry.

Regards,

Alan.

DiamondAl

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2008
Nederland
It's been cold here this week, and for some reason this held water slightly longer than the other jumper that I treated in exactly the same way, at the same time.
That one must be slightly thinner. Anyway, the jumper was at last dry by Friday evening, (three days to dry), and I have been wearing it most of the weekend, it has relaxed back out to it's original size, and fits me like an old friend again, there is a residual slight sign of felting on the outside to remind me to keep on handwashing, probably with the same routine as this time, but pleased to get the shape back, and a nice soft feel.

Once again, thanks to Toddy for sound advice, and thanks to this forum for again being a very useful place for reference.

Regards,

Alan

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE