Slightly bent tip?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brettguise

Jan 29, 2012
Stourbridge
I bought a Mora clipper knife yesterday just a cheap one to skin with and the tip has already been bent slightly (DOH!) How easy is it to straighten the tip as it was nice and sharp yesterday lol. Would the best way be to sharpen the knife on a stone? I'm extremely new to knife sharpening I have a stone in the shed I think I can use with two different roughness sides on it that's the best way to describe it lol.

Thanks for any help I receive :)

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
You could heat the tip (for no more that a few seconds) before tapping it gently with a hammer on something metal and flat... Its not fool proof so you may loose the tip as the damage has already been done.

If you just bought it, I doubt it will need sharpening. Sounds like its in for a fairly short life, as-is :) I'll dig you up a sharpening video anyways.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWQZ_yEyVM8

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2005
Aberdeenshire
Hi Brettguise,
I definitely wouldn't try to straighten the tip, as it may snap, and even if it doesn't and you can bend it straight, it will always be a bit weaker.
I would try carefully filing / grinding the 'bend' out of it, assuming the bend isn't too great. Just keep sighting along the spine as you go, and when it looks straight, work on the profile (side on) as you will probably have rounded the point off. This can be corrected by drawing a coarse stone along the tip edge until you have a 'point' again, then work on the bevel to get it sharp. If you use a grinder, always use plenty of water to keep the blade cool, or the heat may take the temper out of the blade and the steel will soften.
Others may have different opinions on this of course, but I have used this method a couple of times in the past & it has worked for me.

brettguise

Jan 29, 2012
Stourbridge
Ill try filing it with a file and see if I can get it straight again. Think it bent on a log in the field yesterday that I sliced a bit to fit a paper target to check my zero on my gun. Thought they were meant to be stronger than that!

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Personally I'd just set it flat on a chunky piece of metal and lightly tap the tip flat with a hammer. It'll only take a few gentle taps and it should be grand again.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
You might be able to adjust the shape of the tip on that stone you mentioned having without using a file. Use the side of the stone where the two different grits join, not the big flat surface. I'd flatten it gently first then touch up the shape with the side of the stone if need be. This is all just what I'd do mind, if you're unsure get some pics up for better advice! Best of luck with it.

Sep 24, 2005
Aberdeenshire
Metal fatigue sets in extremely quickly with any hardened steel, which is why I'd prefer to lose a few mil off the tip after re-grinding than try and bend it back.
Done this a couple of times with sgian dubh blade blanks as well as a dirk. Also tried bending back to true on a couple of blades, but never really trusted the steel after that.

brettguise

Jan 29, 2012
Stourbridge
I had the same thing happen on a knife , The way I fixed it in the end was just to sharpen and sharpen and sharpen untill everything came back into line . It took a while but the results were good

Here is the thread I started when it happened to me there are some good tips (excuse the pun ) in there http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57841&highlight=

Thanks for all your help guys and I read your topic and took notes on that. Will try repairing tomorrow. I dont think its to bad after another inspection I can probably fix it easily enough I hope.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE