Sleeping with blankets - A pictorial lesson.

ems

Apr 4, 2008
West Sussex
with the blanket topic.. a lot of guys in the *ultralightweight* groups I'm in use a duvet. Same sort of principle as the Rab Top Bag, whats the point of the down underneath the bag, when the warmth relys on the loftyness of the down of the bag, its insulation. Sooo The Rab Top Bag does just that.. it has no down underneath where it will be bottomed out, only down on top. So some guys have made down duvets.. PHD will make you one.. or ideally get some pertex and the spare duvet out of the guest room and make your own! You could even use silk on one side to lower the weight still more, but if you sweat loads you might be a bit cold the next night if you dont air it properly. Primaloft is a great alternative for the damp UK!. You can also buy in fabric shops by the meter very cheaply! I use 4oz primaloft for making quilts ie quilting! But it is avaliable up to 30oz which is arctic stuff. I personally use a PHD down bag and a have two Rab down bags, I always use a silk liner too. I have a pertex outershell on the warmer one of my Rab Bags for increased damp protection.The Rab Top bag being for summer use!

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
hm sort of.. but really just a sleeping bag with the bits that are unnecessary cut off! GoLite make one, Rab do their top bag, PHD make custom ones, and nanatak call theirs a blanket.. but its still a cut bits off bag!

http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/arc_products/arc_ghost.htm

And each and every one will melt close to a camp fire. You can't beat wool blankets (if you're not an ultralighter that is).

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I just want to nod my interest in this and to show a vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJqdbyGsmAE
Very cool and I'll be bringing mine to meets... unfortunately the only one I have is cream :( not very subtle but really warm. I normally snuggle up under it in the winter but I'll be using it as a top blanket in the hammock and as a warm coat now :D

Hopefully it will keep me warm and snuggly :)

soggy boots

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2007
Manchester
As a young scout in the 40's-50's, before ready available sleeping bags, we used two blankets, one laid horizontally and the other arranged vertically (at 90 degrees) on top of the other at mid length.
After lying down on the top vertical blanket and wrapping onself in the side flaps, the excess blanket at the feet can be folded upwards and pinned, using two blanket pins.
The horizontal blanket can then be wrapped around oneself to complete the blanket bag.
A comfy arrangement.
But was summers warmer then? :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE