sleeping mats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Leon, I like the mat. I guess it's recesses trap the body heat, because it seems to help keep me warmer than the solid foam mats have in the past and so far it's taking the usual beating that I put my mats through. My beating my mats up is why I don't use a self-inflater. It's about as comfortable as a solid foam mat, especially after I get my bed area built up with some soft debri. :)

leon-1

Yep, I know what you mean, from what I understand the ridge rest is supposed to trap air in the ridges to provide an insulating layer (it has a similar effect to the normal therma-rest), but is designed for harder ground where a normal therma-rest may get punctured. :)

It is good to hear that they work well though, it is an idea for when my therma-rest gives up the ghost :)

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
So it sems most people prefere the full length offerings and if I'm going to spend money on one I may as well get a really good one thats small and light. Anybody havew any suggestions as to the cheapest place to get a light weight full length thermarest?

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I joined the "outdoor pursuits co-operative" a few years ago when i was buying my thermarests.
Dont know if they still exist but they used to be pretty keen.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i have used all three combinations, 1 being a closed cell matt, 2 being 3/4 length therm-a-rest, 3 being the full lenght version. i gave up on the 3/4 length one very quickly, it is hard to get your feet and your body on a good paralel (sp) enless you are on perfectly flat ground, and i found i got lower back pains and not a great nights sleep, also you do lose a lot of heat, like someone said that extra 1/4 makes the difference. so now i use my full length therm-a-rest practically all the time, enless i am traveling very light, in which case i use a closed cell!!!!

also on the issue of punctres, i put my therm-a-rest on on of those very tough sea-line dry bags and have it on the out side of my pack when walking and then just chack the ground over before i put it down anyway, i have been using it for a few years and have never had a puncture!

Brynglas

As far as the thermarest matresses go, I've had lightweight full length one for about five years now, and I've used it in all sorts of conditions, tents, bivvies and even snowholes,all without a problem.

My only gripe is that I'm not a huge fan of having kit strapped to the outside of my sack, particularly if I'm climbing. As a result I also occasionally use a folding kipmat which I can slide into the back panel of my sack, not quite as comfortable, or possibly as insulated, but more portable.

I also use my kipmat with my hammock as I find a lot of heat goes through the bottom of the hammock. I know that a great deal has been made of the hennessy hammocks by many people, I'm sure that they're excellent, I find that my arktis hammock and a basha do a great job and are extremely hardwearing. The arktis is a good military design which has a great feaure where you can slide poles into sleeves down the sides of the hammock and build an A frame bed, which is also really comfortable. It's also a great deal cheaper than some of the other models about. :pack:

leon-1

Andy, the canadian forces get issued with a sleeping mat which is very much the same as a therma-rest, I have only ever seen them once or twice in surplus stores, but they are normally reasonably priced, it may be worth keeping an eye out for one. :eek:):

Douglas

Tenderfoot
Jun 14, 2004
Switzerland
I currently use an Insul-Mat inflatable mattress with an integrated pillow, super comfortable, but not very warm, and a pain to deflate. So I'm thinking of replacing it with a self-inflatable mat. Thermarest are too expensive, so has anybody tried Exped SIM mats? Otherwise the Highlander ones seem quite good, but the full length ones are heavy, so that leaves the 3/4 length. Are short mats really bad?

I think somebody mentionned the german army sectional mat. My brother has got one, the design is quite good (like most bundeswehr stuff :)), but it does have some downsides. It's quite light (400g), it folds up into a "block" instead of a roll, wich makes it easier to fit inside a bag, so you can use it as a replacement frame for your bag (actually the bundeswehr day pack is designed to use the sleeping pad as a frame). It's also just the right size to use as a seat when it's folded up, good for insulation from the cold ground =). The downside is that it's very, very thin, only 5mm, so it doesn't give much padding nor insulation.
They sell them here: http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/flbkm1ux.html (n.b: it's 56cm thick, not 80, and it folds in two width wise, then folds lenght wise, that's why it's quite thin). The same site also sell the mess kits (cheap and good billy can) and Esbit stoves.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
the 2003 model are avaible with 25 to 30% discount here, you can get one even cheaper wenn you buy a used one, i got mine 3/4 for €17.

I had planned to buy a selfinfaltable pillow which cost € 6,00, to put on one end ( not on the mat ) and mine spare fleece or wool on the other end for my feet. I just can't find that pillow anymore... argh !

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
On the point of warmth, I have to vote for the thicker thermarest mats. Using a (good) down bag in cold weather I still find that I lose too much heat through a karrimat - so a thermarest is pretty well essential. I prefer a full length mat. For me the thermarest ultralite's are too thin. I've settled on the guidelite model as a because it's as thick, warm and comfortable as the original bulky thermarests but packs smaller and lighter.

Cheers

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
I use a 3 season foam mat under a Thermarest Luxury basecamp model mat. Thus I get a better nights sleep and don't have to worry about a puncture... though I still carry the official repair kit... just in case.

Just in case is why I carry twice as much kit as I really need. :roll:

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
That looks good ... even the color is better as those burgandy Thermarests soon look rough when user outdoors on the ground!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
Adi007 said:
That looks good ... even the color is better as those burgandy Thermarests soon look rough when user outdoors on the ground!

Burgandy... I've got one of the new snazzy bright ORANGE mats...mmmmm bet you can't spot me at night :yikes:

I love the thermarest, don't really think I could go back to normal roll mat after using these. The only gripe I've got is the top is so damn slippery, anything more than 1-2 degree incline and its like sleeping on a slide at the park!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE