sleeping mats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
I've always used cheap closed cell mats when camping as the bulk hasn't been a major problem and they cost very little, but I'm now going camping on a bike where anything long will cause problems so I'm thinking of getting a thermarest or similar.
How do people get on with the 3/4 length ones?
What orther brands should I look at?
Does anyone want to sell me one?

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Highlander make one - Thermalite Ultra. Very small, fairly light, cheap and olive green. Am pleased with mine.

It is quite thin though so only slightly more comfy than a closed cell mat. I find the 3/4 length adequate (at least for 2 season use) but not everyone will agree.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
I use a themarest 3/4 ultralite which packs down very small and is comfortable. I've used it all year round both in bivvi bag and tent and not had any problems. I think mountain equipment also do mats which are supposed to be quite good also.

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I had a 3/4 length, but fortunately it got lost flying back from Peru. Never got on with it, caused cold/damp feet. Bought myself a full length one and have never regretted it. It works fine for all my cycling trips. I put it length ways on top of the pannier rack, rather than across it. So i still have quick access into the panniers.
Cheers
Rich

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I use a 3/4 Insua-Mat from Mountain Equipment. Easier to roll up, lighter and just as robust. Kath has a 3/4 Thermarest and I can't see much difference in the two (other than the stuff sack for the Mountain Equipment is bigger so it's easier to put away.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Just to be awkward I use a 3/4 (cut down) closed cell foam army surplus mat - the bit I cut off i use to make inner soles (really good in Mocassins those making them) - I used to have a thermarest and that was pretty damn good too.

ranger

Forager
Nov 3, 2003
South East
I'm prefer a full length mat myself and use a full length Therm-A-Rest Ultralite. I'm a grump if I don't get a good nights sleep and don't enjoy being cold.

ranger

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
I had enough uncomfortable nights during my time as an infantry soldier.

I now use a full length Thermarest Trail. That 1/4 makes all the difference!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I have a 3/4 thermarest and it is pretty good, but I would find a full length one more comfortable.

I guess it is just how I am built, but I find that if I don't jack my feet up a little, so they are at a similar level as the mat, I get lower back ache. :***: A lot of back ache! I am about 5'7", dunno whether it would be better to be taller or shorter though. I bought the mat without having tried one first. That was a mistake! :nono:

Other than that, it is very comfy! :lol:

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
I used my 3/4 length thermarest for the first time at Glastonbury festival and found it very comfortable......except for I had to rest my feet on a bin liner full of cold wet cans of beer.

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
Had a 3/4 thermarest but changed it for a full length version.
Very little weight difference and much more comfortable and keeps sleeping bag cleaner and dryer.
Also have a full length "Deluxe" ,twice the size of the standard version when rolled up but twice as thick when inflated.
Very comfortable when weight and size are not as important.
The deluxe model is still more compact than my closed cell mat's and i usually take it rather than the standard model as i get a better nights sleep.

The proof........
377_7737crop_1.jpg

RB

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i also got the 3/4, but haven't really tested it yet. Feels much beter than closed cell mats. I slept like a baby one one of those, after walking 20KM. Closed cell mats do feel like **** wenn you haven't walked many km before you lie on them.

bushblade

Nomad
Jul 5, 2003
West Yorkshire
www.bushblade.co.uk
The new range of thermarests are excellent, in particular the Pro Lite 3's pack up incredibly small and light. I use a Pro Lite 3S (short) in my hammock in the warmer months, and a Pro lite 3R (regular) with my bivi bag and basha in colder conditions. The Pro Lites are mummy shaped and have a very grippy base, this means they stay put under you in a hammock without having to put them inside your sleeping bag (never realy liked that).
If I'm vehicle based or sleeping round a mates, I have a Thermarest expedition R which is 5cm thick but uses the same foam inside as last years ultralite/guidelites, so still packs up very small and light for what it is.
I've also used Mountain equipment mats (in the integral sleeping bags) Multi Mat self inflating mats and the Robens range of self inflating mats.
Thermarest is by far the best in terms of pack size, weight, and comfort. But once you've gone over to self inflating mats, regardless of manufacturer, you won't want to go back to closed cell foam :biggthump ......unless you're Gary........apparantly :wink: :mrgreen:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
ok here's my 2 pence!

i have always used closed cell mats and recently moved over to thermarest type mats.

i find the thermarest type far more comfortable!

i have only used a 3/4 length once, i did not find it comfy, i am around 5'11-6'00 and average build.

i'm surprised no one has mentioned using your rucksack as ground insulation for the foot end! i assumed everyone did it!

there are a couple of fors and againsts!

closed cell mat advantages :cool: :
cheap, very light, very warm, robust, reliable.

closed cell mat disadvantages :-( :
very bulky, not very comfy, can soak up water.

thermarest type advantages: :cool:
very comfy, warm, compact, adjustable air pressure(soft or hard).

thermarest type disadvantages: :-(

heavier than closed cell!, safer to carry it in your rucksack to stop thorns etc.
, HOLES!, you have to be more gentle with them, more carefull of where you use them, can be colder than closed cell.

one experience of mine is i have one that has a slow puncture, so it's lovely and cosy intill you sleep then it goes down, the cold hard floor wakes you up! so there you are blowing it up every hour or so!
for your own sanity take some form of repair kit! at least tank tape!
(i have tested mine in water ect and can't find a hole it must be the valve! :banghead:

on my SPA training with my expensive thermarest type bed, i was desperate to by a £5 Millet's mat to see me through the cold nights!
i had to cover my sleeping area with spare clothing and my towel to stay warm!

i would say as a rule use a closed cell mat for rough "stop and drop" type camping on rough ground.
and a thermarest when you have time to check the floor or if you are using a tent or ground sheet!

safest option is to carry both a 3/4 thermarest and a 3/4 closed cell mat to act as foot insulation and thorn/stone protection! :banghead: :?: :wink:

rapidboy

Jun 14, 2004
BB
RAPPLEBY2000 you say thermarest type.
My father is on his second thermarest copy and both leak at the valve.
I have had my 2 genuine thermarests for about 5 years and both are good as new.
Always worried about puncture's but they have proved to be very durable so far.
I have found the genuine versions to be superior to most of the copies.
More expensive but you get what you pay for in many cases.
RB

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
fair point!

i have a genuine standard thermarest for "family camping", and a 3/4 thermarest actually bought for my son, with the praviso that i could "play" witrh it.

the leaky mat was actually fine when i bought it equivalent to an ultralight thermarest, i.e. full length but rolls in half.
its called "enviromat" as new £40, bought from Oxfam for £2.45! sold as an excersise mat!
was fine for several trips away, but as i say, i think its the valve!
i agree not as good as the real thing! :biggthump

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Just to be awkward (or alternatively, IMHO) I dun' like Thermarest type mats/beds whatever you want to call them, and yes, I have used them.
The closed cell type (I've always called it a "kip mat" :?: ) aren't "comfy" but then they aren't designed to be, you get comfy by picking a good bed spot & I won't tell you I've never had an uncomfortable night on one. But, they don't bust, even if they get pretty badly mauled you can still use them and when they eventually do go all flat on you, you can 'cannibalise' them for alsorts of useful outdoor purposes.
Okay, they're bulky which is the crux of your problem - have you tried one of the sectional German mats?
I'm sort of biased towards simple things when it comes to my "out" kit as I can't imagine anything worse than relying on something being there only to fid that some small part essential to its function has failed at the darkest, wettest time possible... Mind you, I've still be known to take a laptop to the woods.... Hey, I write..but can't write, if you see what I mean.

Not trying to convert you or anything, just offering an alternative POV.

leon-1

Roving Archer, how do you find the ridge rest, I have listened to everyone here say that they like the normal therma-rest (I own one myself and find it excellent), but it is always worth looking at other alternatives.

Great Pebble I also call closed cell kipmats and have not really had problems with them, I used a closed cell in South Georgia for 4 and 1/2 months, but we had to make sure it was of a specific type, but as someone else in this thread mentioned certain types do absorb water and as such you had to be carefull (in -30'c you can't take too many chances).

RA, do you think that the Ridge Rest woud hold up in the very severest conditions?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE