Bulletproof sleeping pad

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
How about using a thermorest mat on top of a good closed cell mat? It will protect the inflated mat and give extra insulation and comfort. Not a lot of extra weight either.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
That is a good option if you do not sleep next to a fire.

But if it's cold, it is a good option to sleep next to a fire.

:smile:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Yes true and I found that they can slip in the night. I made a cotton bag big enough to hold both mats with a velcro closure which solved that problem. Less likely burn a hole with sparks I'd presume but not tried it as mine is for hammock use. There might be a suitable fabric out there
Mine is an old sheet. I know I'm adding weight by increments here. But then I look for cheap home made solutions.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Home made solutions aren't necessarily heavier than bought ones.

But off course:

A short packing list is better than a long packing list!

Last edited:
Reactions: Woody girl

Woody110

Mod
Mod
Mar 8, 2009
Leeds, Yorkshire
I use a Exped down mat. Had it for about 5 years and used it quite a bit. Very warm, packs to nothing and very light. Not cheep but worth it.
I sleep on my side and sometimes wake with a pain in my hip. But it’s camping not a premiere inn, so there have to be some sacrifices.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
In your case - Siberia or Yakutia or any of the other Russian Republics.
If you can write Cyrillic ( computer search) it should be easy to find a quality Reindeer hide.

You should be able to get deer hide cured the same way. Just make sure the animals have been shot in early winter.
Some deer species is local to you over in Georgia?

I can (in worst case) put you in contact with a person in Yakutsk.

Edit: Remember, there are two huge negatives with (Rein) deer hides. They are heavy. They get wet, and incredibly heavy.

Last edited:

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Where can I get those , I would love one !

I got mine from staying with a friends Sami relatives a few years ago.

Reindeer hides are usually sold untreated or silicone treated. The untreated ones are raw hide on the side that lays on the ground. They can absorb water if not used in really cold (sub zero) or dry conditions.
Silicone treated ones have the raw hide surface treated with a silicone waterproofing. They are not 100% waterproof, but do limit how damp the skins get. If not stored correctly, when new, the silicone surfaces stick together and are difficult to separate. (With use the silicone picks up dust and dirt and stops the silicone being sticky)
In the photo, If it’s not subzero, I use them on an old ‘safari’ camp bed to keep them clean and dry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE