Sleeping Mats

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Green Dweller Beloved

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2007
Hampshire
Hi,

I was wondering what the general consenus was on sleeping mats was.
I need to buy one and as they're aren't cheap obviously want to spend wisely.
It will be for use in my 2 man tent.
I want it to be lightweight, but the most important thing is comfort.

I'm not sure about these self inflating one's. Are they any good?
I see some are only about 25mm thick.
Surely your back would be touching the floor? I weight 13 stone.
Surely they'd be prone to puncturers in woodland terrain?

Then you haver the foam style oneswhich are much more liteweigth, but are these comfortable?

Just for clarity normally I use a full on blow up air bed which is about 100mm thick, but it's more for camping near your car as it weigh too much to be hike / camping in remote areas.

Cheers for the input.

PS How do you insert pictures? When I click the insert picture button, I get a screen which says 'Explorer user prompt' Enter the text to be formatted.

GDB

Geuf

Nomad
May 29, 2006
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
For me the thermarest mats are ideal. The purpose of a mat is not really comfort, but they are primeraly to insulate you from the ground, so you won't have a cold back. If you want to pack light and small I'd reccomend the thermarest mats. if folded in two over length and rolled up tight its a package sized about 25 by 20 cm's . Hope this helps you

ferrol

Tenderfoot
Nov 14, 2006
in my head
Hello,

I use the self inflating type, I used to use the foam ones but since I changed I won't go back, they are IMHO much more comfy, plus they can be deflated and packed inside you Rucksack thus stopping looking like your on your D of E!

The Inflatables can hold a good amount of pressure so you can put enough air in to stop you weight from going through to the ground.

There are worries such as punctures but I've never had one and I've been using mine for 4 years now. Guess it maybe to do with the fact if I do sleep on the ground I make sure its clear of any stones and other bits that may go through my tent ground sheet or Bivvy bag.

Hope this helps

ferrol

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Therm-a-rest for comfort all the way in my opinion... they go from the ultralight range that are mildly better than sleeping on the ground to the basecamp / dreamtime models which... aren't!

My advice is to find a snow and rock / blacks / field and trek and try a few in store... if you find a big snow and rock, I know they often have a rocky section for just this test.

I have used foam mats and while they are much warmer and tougher, they are nothing on a therm-a-rest Trail 4 for comfort.

If I lay on my side and I haven't inflated it to rock-hard, my hips can compress it and get cold but I have yet to be uncomfortable.

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
I bought an Aric from AlpKit as they're far cheaper than Thermarest.

First "non foam" mat I've had and it really is very good. I've seen a lot of positive comments for both these and Thermarest mats here.

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
I always used to use the closed cell foam mats, but for the past 5 years or so I've been using a self inflating mat and I'd never go back to the foam ones again!

Sure the self inflating ones are a little bit heavier, but they're MUCH more comfy and as said earlier, can be packed down smaller and carried inside your bergen / rucksack.

I use a US Army self inflating mat, which is about an inch (25mm for the metricated) thick. I usually give it a quick puff of air through the valve to make it a little firmer to suit my own taste in bedding.

Best thing about it was that it only cost a tenner from a surplus store and was in almost new condition! It's also olive green, rather than bright pink / purple like some of the "civilian" versions.

As for punctures, none yet. That said, I always check for rocks and sharps where I plan to lay down for the night. The mat always goes INSIDE the bivi bag too, which helps to protect it and stops you sliding off it in the night!

Word of warning though - don't leave it "inflated" with the valve shut in bright sunlight. It'll get hot and expand and the envelope will start to pull away from the foam, creating a "bubble." I speak from experience - luckily my "bubble" is on a corner, not in the middle of the mat!

As for weight, I'm almost 15 stone and I haven't popped it yet!

PS.....

Just found this on ebay http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Army-Issue-Se...ryZ67580QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem Looks like there's now a British / NATO version!

litefoot

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
northamptonshire
Tried a foam pad for the first time in a good while to try and get a lighter pack,had a really cr!p kip and will be using the thermarest again from now on.
andy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use Multi mat self inflating mats and realy rate them!
25mm is good 38mm better - and they do thicker ones as well - the only punctures I have had are from accacia thorns in Africa.
I have some for trade if you are interested.
I review kit for a living and have done "in house" reviews of Multi mat products but I am a freelance with no conection to the company.
I do however reckon that for the price MM are the best I have tried and I now use no other! Their foam mats (often sold branded to other companies ranges) are also top quality.
John

Green Dweller Beloved

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2007
Hampshire
Cheers for your help Guys.

John, these mats that you have for trade, are they used, if so how old?
I doubt I'd have anything to trade, but I'm sure cash would suffice.
Please describe what you have and how much you'd want for them.
Weight is an important issue with me so hopefully you know this info?
I may want two, one for my Mrs and me.
Please let me know.
Cheers
GDB

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I have been looking into these sorts of thing for my weekend in Cumbria in
June and have made the first step of picking up a Millets catalogue. Which
is quite a start for me, coming as I do from a landscape largely populated
with armchairs and the like.

So... here I am with two months to go, mugging up on bivvies / tarps / tents /
sleeping mats / sleeping bags etc. Definitely no hammocks though.

I think it's important that my first camping trip in seven years is reasonably
comfortable or else it'll be hotels from now on :rolleyes: That Alpkit website
is quite amusing and very detailed: http://www.alpkit.com/airic/compare/

By the way does a poncho liner have a hole in the middle for your head or is
it nothing to do with what I imagine ponchos to be? I don't think I need one but
I just wondered.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Jodie said:
By the way does a poncho liner have a hole in the middle for your head or is
it nothing to do with what I imagine ponchos to be? I don't think I need one but
I just wondered.

No a poncho liner doesn't have a hole for your head, It is design to be used in conjuction with the poncho like a hudson bay pack. It has lace ties that you attach to the eyelets on the poncho so that you can make a lightweight waterproof sleeping bag of sorts.
They are handy especially in very warm weather because you can use it like a lightweight duvee aswell instead of a sleeping bag, I have had one for years and use it every summer.:)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As for the sleeping mats I would take John up on his offer, I have seen the mats in question and can vouch for there quality and condition.:)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Pm sent - be quick as I will be offering the mats for sale/swap at the Gellie meet this weekend.... along with other bits like pouches, knives, cookwear etc!
John

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
Jodie said:
Thanks Greg - I now want a poncho liner more than anything in the world.
They sound efficient and the name makes me laugh.

I am easily pleased :D

Apologies for going slightly of the original topic but...Poncho liner advice

If you can get them ( I've not found a supplier in the UK ) the thinsulate version is supposed to be better eg warmer, lighter and packs smaller.

If not you might want to contemplate this version
http://www.nomadtravel.co.uk/store/customer/product.php?productid=19600
It does have a, velcro resealable, hole for head plus it zips itself together as a sleeping bag, meaning you don't get the draft like you do from the regular 3-4 tie point ones. A little dearer than standar liner but more flexible, I've found it to be just as warm, well slightly warmer because of the zips. Come with it's own compression sack too.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I'm looking to get a full length mat as I've been using the Thermarest lite 3/4 length one for the last 10 yrs and my feet are starting to get cold :lmao: :rolleyes:

I have used my thermarest 100's if not 1000s of times, the original started to delaminate last year so I contacted Theremarest about their lifetime garantee ( I didn't think it would still be valid after that long) They told me to send it to them and they would have a look. Within two weeks they had sent me a brand new mat :) No questions asked .

I was thinking of looking at the Alpkit mats, but when I know that Thermarest will send me a replacement when ever I need it I will probably stick with them :drive: .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE