Sleeping mats and underblankets for hammocks, either/or?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
I've used a DD Hammock a few time and found hammock camping really comfortable. The only problem has been the cold spots from compression at the sides or underneath when the sleeping mat slips.

For those who use sleeping mats are 3/4 lengths more suited than full length mats?

And are underblankets used in addition to a sleeping mat or do they work great on their own?

Thanks in advance.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
A half-decent underblanket completely eliminates any need for a mat. You'll be far more comfortable, and there's none of that squirming around nonsense...

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
Thanks for the replies. I had looked at some of the hammock/underblanket threads but was not sure if a sleeping mat was needed especially in winter and I've never been happy with the idea of using my sleeping mat inside the hammock as I might as well be on the ground. The pack size/dimensions also make sense.

The feedback from the underblanket groupbuy was useful. Just Jeff's hammock camping page also covered different variations.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html

I think my next step will be to pick up a good sleeping bag at a car boot and have a go at the Kissass Quilt.

Jim

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Well, that kinda depends... ;) My 3m x 2.5m tarp is about 850g (with pegs), hammock, net, and all the fixings collectively is about 1kg, and the group-buy underblanket is about 1.2kg - for a grand total of about 3kg for the whole system.

For comparison, my MacPac Microlight tent at 1.8kg plus my 3/4 length thermarest at 800g makes for a 2.6kg system, but with much less space and comfort. Or I could use the tarp, my Rab Alpine bivy bag (680g) and the thermarest for a 2.3kg system, but with no insect protection - add back about 400g for the net, or zip the bag right up if there's midgies about. Or go ultra-minimalist with just the bag and mat, weighing in at 1.5kg...

(None of those weights feature a sleeping bag. But you'll be needing one of those whatever...)

Of all those options, the hammock is by far the most comfortable. The group-but underblanket is a great bit of kit, but its weakness is its weight. I've been planning on making an ultralight down underblanket for ages, but you know what it's like... ;)

Jim_aramis

Forager
Aug 28, 2005
East Cheshire
Space wise my issue bivvy bag takes up more than my hammock, so the hammock wins there. An underblanket would take up less space then my current sleeping mat but depending on compression I think the underblanket would be comparable to a 3/4 mat were I to upgade.

leon-1

Jim, I am afraid I am one of the heretics that uses a mat and not an underblanket, I have my reasons in as much as I cannot always put up a hammock so I need to be comfy on the floor. Which means that I also have a bivvy bag.

I have just retired my old therma-rest 3/4 ultralight, it's knackered. Its replacement is a Slim Airic, it packs down as small, it weighs about the same, it also inflates to the same thickness, that is where the similarity ends. It is full length, wider, came with a stuff sack, compression straps and a repair kit. It cost about a third of what a therma-rest costs, it cost £25 delivered, brand spanking new and the service that I received was very good.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
I always carry a half length foat mat which acts as the frame to my pack, lets me keep my feet clean getting into the hammock and gives me the option to go to ground. not bad for 125 grams.
I'm now using the new speer underquilt btw.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE