Sleeping mat???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sgood24

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2014
Newcastle
Hi all

I am hoping you can help by giving me some advice on sleeping mats? I am looking to purchase one but wanted to know what you would recommend! I mainly go camping and build a raised bed shelter and currently place a foam pad on top.

My question is which mat would you recommend? I don't want to go crazy on the price either so sub £60 if possible.

Any help would be great!
Thanks

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
It's a little out of budget, but I love my Exped Synmat 7 UL. It's very light, and exceptionally comfortable. The insulation it offers has also been a great bonus.

I use a piece of foil/bubblewrap roof insulation underneath it when wild camping to protect the mat. On a campsite in a tent, I don't bother.

Julia

Juv2112

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2014
West Wales
Sleeping mats are awkward things to recommend as people sleep in different positions, have different body shapes and weights, etc. Some are comfortable on a thin CCF mat, some require an inflatable airbed with a foam mat for insulation and some prefer down filled mats. Was the foam mat not warm enough or not comfortable? For me I just can't get comfortable on them on their own so I use a Mountain Hardware Helium 3.8 they are reasonable for 45 pounds (not for 80 though) but not everyone rates them and you may not like them.

Hope this helps

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I would recommend looking for a secondhand thermarest trail pro very warm and rolls up quite compact, new around £75-£80 I picked up mine for £10.

Fluffydave

Jan 29, 2014
Croydon, Uk
I camp in a tent rather than anything more advanced and I use a Thermarest Trail Lite which I picked up years ago from Complete Outdoors, they're still sub £60. They pack down incredibly small and light but like Juv2112 says, it's quite a personal thing. My missus hated hers and got rid of it so each to their own.

Sgood24

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2014
Newcastle
Sleeping mats are awkward things to recommend as people sleep in different positions, have different body shapes and weights, etc. Some are comfortable on a thin CCF mat, some require an inflatable airbed with a foam mat for insulation and some prefer down filled mats. Was the foam mat not warm enough or not comfortable? For me I just can't get comfortable on them on their own so I use a Mountain Hardware Helium 3.8 they are reasonable for 45 pounds (not for 80 though) but not everyone rates them and you may not like them.

Hope this helps

Thanks for this, i know what you mean but I was looking for some recommendations as the foam pad is an old one i got from go outdoors for like £10 and whilst its an extra layer its not the best for comfort or insulation and was really only used for camping in a tent. now I am doing more wild camping i am after something a little more up market.

thanks I will check out the Helium also

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
It's a little out of budget, but I love my Exped Synmat 7 UL. It's very light, and exceptionally comfortable. The insulation it offers has also been a great bonus.

I use a piece of foil/bubblewrap roof insulation underneath it when wild camping to protect the mat. On a campsite in a tent, I don't bother.

Julia

+1

Been using the Synmat UL7 for a while now and even as a side sleeper i always get a great nights sleep with it

Juv2112

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2014
West Wales
Thanks for this, i know what you mean but I was looking for some recommendations as the foam pad is an old one i got from go outdoors for like £10 and whilst its an extra layer its not the best for comfort or insulation and was really only used for camping in a tent. now I am doing more wild camping i am after something a little more up market.

thanks I will check out the Helium also

Sorry Sgood24 the Helium is Mountain Equipment not Mountain Hardware.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
From your description, I assume that the raised bed you build is comfortable enough for you, and all you need is insulation. If that is the case, a foam mat is adequate, and only costs 5-10 UK pounds. If this is not the case, and you need more comfort, then I would suggest that you try a hammock. I find this to be the most comfortable type of camping, and I use a foam mat for insulation. But I camp in an area covered in forest, so have no need to sleep on the ground.

Sgood24

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2014
Newcastle
From your description, I assume that the raised bed you build is comfortable enough for you, and all you need is insulation. If that is the case, a foam mat is adequate, and only costs 5-10 UK pounds. If this is not the case, and you need more comfort, then I would suggest that you try a hammock. I find this to be the most comfortable type of camping, and I use a foam mat for insulation. But I camp in an area covered in forest, so have no need to sleep on the ground.

good point about the hammock, however when I go i try to use as little man made stuff as possible, so far i am only using tarp, bag, foam pad, paracord, knife and a billy can. The other reason is more comfort as I am not the lightest and sometimes my pad feels non existent at times! Although still very tempted to get a hammock as they are cool pieces of kit! thanks for your advice though.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Haha there is only one available but as I am undecided just now happy to share!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231295570366?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

if you get it before I decide fair play :)

Expedition make the best mats, and the price of that one makes it worth getting.

Looks like they come in different sizes though, might be worth checking which one this is.

http://www.facewest.co.uk/Exped-Downmat-Lite-5.html

I've never had the pleasure of an Exped, but I've tried Alpkit (not good) and Multimat (very good, but the prices seem to have gone up since I got mine).

Last edited:

Sgood24

Tenderfoot
Jul 10, 2014
Newcastle
Thanks will check it out! Yeah looking at a multimat super lite 25, mountain equipment glacier 5.0 and this exped just now! Plus a couple of thermarest on eBay! Thanks for the heads up!

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
good point about the hammock, however when I go i try to use as little man made stuff as possible, so far i am only using tarp, bag, foam pad, paracord, knife and a billy can. The other reason is more comfort as I am not the lightest and sometimes my pad feels non existent at times! Although still very tempted to get a hammock as they are cool pieces of kit! thanks for your advice though.

I was 17st, my friend was 22st, we both used Hennessey Asym Deluxe with foam mats. Very comfy, highly recommended. I now have a custom from UKHammocks - I went a bit OTT and asked for a much longer than standard hammock - it's about the size of a super king I can't actually reach either of the ends of the hammock it's so big.

If you're at the moot, try a few out. The hammock body adds very little to the overall weight you're carrying but makes up for the loss of comfort.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE