Sleeping bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Canadian Guy

Sep 29, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I'm a new forum member here so I thought I should state that the discussions on cold weather sleeping bags here were instrumental in my decision on buying some "gucci kit". I ended up ordering the Nanok SF endurance -25 bag for cold weather and the Snugpak Special Forces Combo kit (two bags in the kit) for not as cold temperatures. Being in the Infantry weight was certainly an issue but especially for the winter bag low temperature rating was essential and the info I read was that the Nanok bag was good and the stated temperature ratings were accurate. I've trained in NW Ontario where the temp went down to -50 and a normal (January) daytime temp may be in the -30/-40's so I need a serious winter bag, even with the Nanok bag I may need a good liner and/or wear extra thermal clothing but it sounds like a good piece of kit. Thanks to everyone for their insightfull discussions!

lardbloke

Nomad
Jul 1, 2005
Torphichen, Scotland
Glad we all could be of help......

I have used a Softie 18 in pretty cold conditions. A friend sold me the bag after he came back from a tour in Afghanistan. He used in temperatures down to -40C and I have used it down to -20C when I was up at Goose Bay. Its a good bag, but is very heavy.

I also have the nanok SF -10C which I have used in just below freezing conditions and prefer this style of bag. They are very hard wearing, have more room, less stitching, double zips and you can insert the foot bucket. For the forces this would be my bag of choice.

If I go on a jolly into cold climes these days then I would choose a down bag, just because it is lighter and more compact than either of the above and wouldnt expect the rough conditions I would have used it in similar conditons in the Forces.

I usually always take a merkolon sleeping liner with me, this can be used in the bag to increase the thermal properties by a bit it things get colder and can be used a warm weather sleeping sock.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE