Sleeping bags

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Guys,
I'm going to the meetup on 20th August and I need a sleeping bag. I have a goretex bivvy, an aussie hooch and cheap hammock from Ebay.

Oh and I also managed to pick up a brand new in the pack Thermarest luxury edition mat for £6.99 in an odds n sods shop on Walton on the Naze last weekend "result" and it wasn't as if the geeza behind the counter didn't know what it was, he told me that on the web they go for £50.

I digress

Anyway I need to buy a sleeping bag for the meet up, so if anyone has got any suggestions and where to get it from I would be really interested to know.

Regards

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I have several Vango (200, 300, Ultralite) sleeping bags of various weights that are very good along with a Mountain Equipment Firewalker that I use a lot if it's not too cold. All are good, durable bags that work well.

Take into account the following:

Budget
Your size
How much weight you want to carry?
What kind of weather will you be out in?
Down is good but synthetic is less headache to look after ...

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
I spose £80.00 top whack. Should I go for a 2 season and wear extra layers in the winter or go for a 3 season and just leave the zip undone for more ventilation less clothes.

I hear snugpacks are good any opinions?

EdS

I use a snugpak bag and don't have problems with the temp rating, but is only an estimate as its all down to the individual.

The bag i've got is the equivalent to the Black luxury 2 (was black on black when I got it). The comfort rating is down to -5C. I couple this with a silk liner and use it year round, including Scotish winter.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
EdS said:
I use a snugpak bag and don't have problems with the temp rating, but is only an estimate as its all down to the individual.

The bag i've got is the equivalent to the Black luxury 2 (was black on black when I got it). The comfort rating is down to -5C. I couple this with a silk liner and use it year round, including Scotish winter.
Yes, silk liners ... an essential. Not just for the warmth and comfort but helps to keep the inside of the sleeping bag clean!

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
I've just bought a Snugpack Travelpak Traveller from the Outdoors Shop on Buckingham Palace road, its a one season compact (very compact, in fact!) and comes with a built-it mozzie net over the hood. I picked up a silk liner whilst I was there as well. If you're within distance of an Outdoors shop (the brand mane of the Scout Shops), they seem to have a resaonable range reeasonably priced, Allenko.

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
I still have an old (15years) Mountain Equipment Firebird. An exceptional sleeping bag good for -20c, although it is rather bulky. I am still very happy with it.

EdS

I like my snugpak but I did get it cheap as a cosmetic second from the factory.

if I'm car camping I still tend to take my old Caravan Odin - its bulky but has a cotton inner (which i prefer) plus the bulk makes it very comfortable.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
I would be careful when buying a sleeping bag by going by the season rating as there is no universal standard,take two bags from different companies saying that they are 3 season rating,one could have more filling than the other but how do we know which is best.I usually go for the temperature rating myself.But again i,m not very sure if a standard applies to temperature rating among companies.

I hope i hav,nt put the cat among the pidgeons.

As i,m a kilty kilty cold ar*e as they say in my neck of the woods,i use a fairly thick sleeping bag because i just hate being cold,also i can always unzip it if it gets to warm,thats why i only have one bag rather than having several.I also have a fleece liner for those extra cold nights.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
stuart f said:
I would be careful when buying a sleeping bag by going by the season rating as there is no universal standard,take two bags from different companies saying that they are 3 season rating,one could have more filling than the other but how do we know which is best.I usually go for the temperature rating myself.But again i,m not very sure if a standard applies to temperature rating among companies.

I hope i hav,nt put the cat among the pidgeons.

As i,m a kilty kilty cold ar*e as they say in my neck of the woods,i use a fairly thick sleeping bag because i just hate being cold,also i can always unzip it if it gets to warm,thats why i only have one bag rather than having several.I also have a fleece liner for those extra cold nights.
Different bags for different people is certainly a truism - and being wary of the seasons ratings is not a bad thing ... I run hot and so need s lesser bag than most and can get away with the lightweight FireWalker for all but the coldest UK weather.

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Whats the Tracpac Type 2 Season Sleeping Bag like or should I steer clear completely. I can pick up a new one of those for under 20 quid.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
If you don't mind sounding like a sweet wrapper have a look at the blizzard bags, they're only £25, and defiantely warm enough, you do get some condensation build up on the inside but a cotton liner would sort this out. They weigh about 350g and if you put them in a compression sack go VERY small.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Good idea! When I was young(er!!!) I used to use a blanket and polythene survival bag ... those blizzard bags would be luxury!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Yeah, a poncho liner is makes a great sleeping system.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE