sleeping bags - what does everyone favour?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rick

Jun 26, 2005
Brighton
willie said:
Hello,
If your Thinking about getting a nanok, i would try Graham tiso's, They're Own bags are made by Nanok and are cheaper.

Cheers

have you any idea where can I find one? Tried a Tiso website but they didn't have any of there own bags.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
Iam not as hard core as some of your chaps,iam only going out late spring threw to Autumn so iam not interested in bags that would be used in the artic ect.Do you think that the Snugpac range are ok for three seasons of Britain/Europe.If so which ones and would the jungle bag be ok for high summer use?

HAM

Sep 6, 2004
Aberdeen
Theres lots of talk on various manufacturers, and I'm amazed that no-one has mentioned Macpac. I've been using a Macpac Neve for about 12 years now. Its 4 season, down filled, so perhaps the Pinnacle (3 season) would be more suitable for most folk. The trick with both these bags is that there is no insulation on the bottom half of the bag, just a pocket to slide your termarest or mat into. This means that the pack size and weight are very small for the bags rating. Most people that I know have replaced their hollowfill (or equivalent) bags at least once in the lifetime of my Macpac, and so far I haven't noticed any deterioration in performance.

If I could only have one sleeping bag for all soutdoor sports and all seasons, this would be my choice every time.

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Goose said:
A good way of testing insulation fairly would to put a sigg bottle(say) of hot water into bag and monitor temperature, anybody know if this has been done as a magazine test?
Or would it work?

Ray Jardine recommends measuring the rating of a bag by laying it on a flat surface, fully lofted, and measuring the thickness with a ruler.

My rather atrophied memory of A level Fizziks suggests this should be accurate (all other things being equal - ESPECIALLY the breathability of the outer fabric), the insulation afforded by a bag is proportional to its thickness.

Ergo, the best sleeping bag is the lightest, most compressible one which affords the required thickness of insulation (and whose insulation loses least loft over repeated compressions/expansions)

Makes sense to me.

Jim.

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
The Jardine temperature equation is ETR = 100 - (40 x T)

ETR is effective temperature rating, and T is the thickness in inches.

When measuring the thickness of a sleeping bag, measure only the the layer on top of you, ie. the top half of the sleeping bag, as the bottom half is squashed flat under your body.
So using the equation, the ETR of a sleeping bag with 2 inches on top would be approximately 20 F. Of coure this would vary depending on metabolism etc. But it is a good guide, and has made me laugh when I see some of the sleeping bags for sale rated to -5 C with only half an inch of insulation....

nzgunnie

Tenderfoot
Sep 11, 2005
New Zealand
I've got a 500 gram fill down bag called the Ember, it is pretty compact but has a very good quality down that lofts very well. I decided to go for the 500 gm fill rather than the 700gm one and never regretted it. If I decide that I'll be sleeping high above the bushline in winter (unlikely) I can get an additional 150gm liner to bulk it up a little.

Their website is http://www.macpac.co.nz/

greg2935

Nomad
Oct 27, 2004
Exeter
Being a very cold sleeper I got fed up with buying different bags only to find they were not up to the job, eventually I bought an old british-army artic sleeping bag for about £40 and a decent stuff sack for another £10. With the stuff sack, the bag can be squashed down to a cylinder of a diameter of about 20cm and length 25-30cm. It is slightly heavier than other bags I have owned but still comfortable and dores not have that yukky nylon feel to it. If it is too hot, I just undo the zip, and make sure my mozzi net is up!

I have a Mountain equip TDS bag and it's great. except it's large and heavy. I reciently got a Nanok down bag from Tiso's for £120.00 and I am totally converted. it's rated at -5 and compacts up very small and light. For only £20.00 over the £100.00 starting price, I'd say it's well worth the extra.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I bought an Ajungilak Tyin about 14 years ago (from what was called Survival aids) and although it's not the smallest bag it does me just fine.

During summer it's too warm but I can unzip it, during winter on the fells it's just great :)

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
I have never used a synthetic bag thats worked at 0 or below, for a three season bag i'd always go for a down , have used field and treks rolling clouds 750 in the alp's in the white season and for £120 it rock's, warmer, lighter and longer lasting than a slugpac or ajungilac synthetic, nature knows best after all :rolleyes: . Down bag's have a wider comfort zone aswell(less sweating/freezing). Use a sythetic bag often and you'll notice the performance dropping off as the fibres tear and cut themselves, a good down bag will last for many year's if looked after :) If £100 your absolute limit give me a p.m ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE