Sleeping Bags: Mummy or Straight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
i got a mummy atm

i do not feel restricted tbh

this is one of those ones that is a personal preference and also whether or not for winter camping or pack-weight concerned

the most important in a sleeping bag the number ratings for the season and temperatures you will likely to encounter in extreme lower temps i find mummy bags best as less room to heat up and keep arm and straight bags for higher temps for more air-flow

as you are conditioned for straight sleeping bags it will likely you may feel restricted even by a little-bit by a mummy bag

jon_dv

Aug 1, 2022
warwickshire
recently used an old 3 and a half season mummy bag, and I ended up opening it up and using it as a make shift quilt (apart from the foot end), mind you it has been rather warm recently, however I did find it was too tight for me when I got into it first time a few weeks ago, but again I think it was due to the weather being extremely warm, and I've not gained weight since last using it, I have used it a lot in the past

Last edited:

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I've got 2 sleeping bags, one a cheapy mummy from lidl which packs up small, is light and great for summer.
For winter I've got a British army bag, I'm not small so I have the Large bag - has a hole the size of a grapefruit for air/face.
Take a bit of getting used to, best to do a lot of practice lies in it at home where you can do it up properly and then just relax, then un do it etc...
I woke up one night camping and I did feel a bit claustrophobic, couple seconds of "I'm fine" then I calmly unzipped it and gathered myself for the remaining night hours...

I mean, I'll normally have my phone and a knife in there with me...so worse case scenario I could butcher the poor bag...

Oh, I lie, I/we also have a straight double bag, but it's really awkward, zips down both sides etc, I normally get too hot and unzip my side, wife then doesn't like the draft, so I end up tucking her in it and sleeping half in half out.
Honestly, its like sleeping next to a full length hot water bottle...

StevieE

Forager
Jul 15, 2021
Bridgend, South Wales
I've got 2 sleeping bags, one a cheapy mummy from lidl which packs up small, is light and great for summer.
For winter I've got a British army bag, I'm not small so I have the Large bag - has a hole the size of a grapefruit for air/face.
Take a bit of getting used to, best to do a lot of practice lies in it at home where you can do it up properly and then just relax, then un do it etc...
I woke up one night camping and I did feel a bit claustrophobic, couple seconds of "I'm fine" then I calmly unzipped it and gathered myself for the remaining night hours...

I mean, I'll normally have my phone and a knife in there with me...so worse case scenario I could butcher the poor bag...

Oh, I lie, I/we also have a straight double bag, but it's really awkward, zips down both sides etc, I normally get too hot and unzip my side, wife then doesn't like the draft, so I end up tucking her in it and sleeping half in half out.
Honestly, its like sleeping next to a full length hot water bottle...
I know the feeling about double sleeping bags Scottie. We have 2 and its impossible to get either one of us comfortable in it.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Hahah yeh its definitely a challenge!

We both have the "medium bag" which is the one with the tiny hole. I think we both go the large as I need it for me, and the wifey didn't want to feel trapped in it, plus the doggo sometimes sleeps in with her....

We camped on dartmoor in the middle of winter snow and all, and with socks and thermal top bottom, hat scarf etc and in a tent, I got too hot... so I definitely recommend them, but the issue is they're bulky and relatively heavy.

But cheap compared to snugpak stuff..

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Did you get the full set up Scottie or just the medium bag? i.e summer bag, liner etc. I've been looking at this for a while.
Just the medium bag. I'd like to get the/a bivvy bag, but add it to the list..
I've tried a generic liner before and I don't get on with them... I end up wrapped up inside the sleeping bag and it's awfully uncomfortable (for me anyway).

I think going forward however, I'd probably look at getting something super duper for winter that I can either pack small, or light... I do love the beast army bag but it takes up a lot of room so it sort of renders my small bag unusable during the winter..

Someone (Erbwurst likely) has recommended snugpak special forces bags (something like that) as they are warm and light, but they were too pricey for what I could/can afford.

Reactions: StevieE

MikeeMiracle

Aug 2, 2019
Northampton
I find regular sized mummy's too restrictive. Got myself a Corinthia Defence 4 which is very roomy in comparison. It's an army style bag designed to get into with your boots on so plenty of space. I usually put my cloths in the foot well so when I get up in the morning I am putting on warm clothes instead of cold ones.

Springchicken

Aug 29, 2005
Northants.
PHD have sort of hybridised the straight/mummy shape in their Greenlandic range. I like the mummy concept - warmer, lighter and so on - but would appreciate a little more room. Maybe this British maker will proved a solution to that conundrum?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I had a couple of "summer weight" bags which are long gone. Nice throws on the bed for chilly nights.
Still have my best bag. It's barrel-shaped, quite a bit wider in the middle to thrash around. Bottom side is Hollo-Fill, top side is down, down tube behind the zipper. Bottom is plenty big enough for my huge feet and boots in winter.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
PHD have sort of hybridised the straight/mummy shape in their Greenlandic range. I like the mummy concept - warmer, lighter and so on - but would appreciate a little more room. Maybe this British maker will proved a solution to that conundrum?

This is why I went down the army surplus route... its designed so you can get in it with all your gear on. So when I hop in, in a t-shirt and boxers or thermals, I have lots of room :lol:

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I'm still wondering whether to go down the cheaper route and supplement it with my Sungpak Jungle Blanket as additional insulation for 1-2 season use.
Main thing you have to consider is when you're planning on using it (at night :punch: )
....I find summer camping when its warm at night just a case of having some cover, which is where the lidl special did it for me, cheap, cheerful, does the job, I don't have to be overly precious about it etc...its just easier than taking a blanket, but same kind of thing.

Winter camping, I chose something that would 100% work and when coupled with other toasty things might even get me too warm...which is where I spent a few more £'s on the army one... but even then, it didnt break the bank.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE