Sleeping Bags: Mummy or Straight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm all of 5'2 and a half " :rolleyes: and I have curves, big curves.
I find it's hard to get comfortable in a sleeping bag :sigh:
Honestly ? a quilt works better. Just lie on half and fold the other half over. Easy in and out, comfortable to use, to pack, to wash, to store.

I have a mummy shaped British Army arctic sleeping bag, the one that comes with the boot liner. It was the nearest I could find to a comfortable fit, but it's about two handspans too long. I gave my Ajungliak /Mammut one to a friend who fitted it better than I ever did though it was truly excellent.
I think what's under you is more important than what's covering you. If push comes to shove you can always use your jacket, but having slept on the shingle just using a bit of oilcloth, or on soil scraping out a hollow for hip and shoulder, and then the innovation (showing my age here :) ) of the wonder that was the closed cell mat...... I reckon underneath matters a heck of a lot.

M

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
If push comes to shove you can always use your jacket, but having slept on the shingle just using a bit of oilcloth, or on soil scraping out a hollow for hip and shoulder, and then the innovation (showing my age here :) ) of the wonder that was the closed cell mat...... I reckon underneath matters a heck of a lot.
teaching us some much needed knowledge

underneath does matter

if one has a large plastic bag they can fill with leaves and place under bedding for extra insulation and comfort

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Hahah yeh its definitely a challenge!

We both have the "medium bag" which is the one with the tiny hole. I think we both go the large as I need it for me, and the wifey didn't want to feel trapped in it, plus the doggo sometimes sleeps in with her....

We camped on dartmoor in the middle of winter snow and all, and with socks and thermal top bottom, hat scarf etc and in a tent, I got too hot... so I definitely recommend them, but the issue is they're bulky and relatively heavy.
But cheap compared to snugpak stuff..
Have both this and the Snugpak 15 ....both bulky/heavy for backpacking, but the Army thing is versatile, cheap and surprisingly effective The Snugpak 15 is a very good winter bag........

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
Like some on here, I like the straight bag as less restrictive.
However, back in the day, I came across a Mountain Equipment Sleepwalker TDS mummy bag.
The TDS is elasticated leg area, so its technically a straight til you get to the footbox, but the elastic pulls to mummy shape to restrict draughts.
Absolutely genius. But they don't do it now.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Like some on here, I like the straight bag as less restrictive.
However, back in the day, I came across a Mountain Equipment Sleepwalker TDS mummy bag.
The TDS is elasticated leg area, so its technically a straight til you get to the footbox, but the elastic pulls to mummy shape to restrict draughts.
Absolutely genius. But they don't do it now.
Snugpak do something similar on some of their bags..........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE