sleeping bag

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dandaman_24

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2007
W Midlands
Looking to get a snugpak softie kilo or travelpak extreme. reasoning being is price, weight and temp rating.

Any body care to share their views on the bags mentioned or know of bags which weigh around the 1.1kg to 1.3kg and have a temp rating of -3and lower.

Snugpak range i use the military spec ones cant compare as i havent used any other similer as ive been happy wit ha UK 58 pattern issue long for 20yrs but its very heavy and bulky hence the Snugapak it does feel a bit flimsey though but the 58 ia main battle tank of a bag

ATB

Duncan

rat pac

Sep 8, 2007
Kingston Surrey
hi
the nanok -10 is a better buy( but get a better stuff sack) i tryed the snugpac and was not impressed
hope we find what you are looking for
regards to all
Rat pac

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
At the risk of sounding like a broken record: Alpkit.

I have a little experience of Snugpak bags, but not the two models you mention. The Kilo I found online seems to state a comfort temp of 10 - 0°C. If I were you I'd ignore completely the -5°C extreme rating (Do a search on here for extreme temperature). From my experience (and my personal preferences, how I sleep etc) I reckon the Kilo would be good FOR ME to about 5°C. You may be different.

1kg of down will keep you far warmer than 1kg of synthetic fill ever will.

Extreme Temperature

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I found the Snugpak bags a little constricting to be honest. Though i have not used the one's you have mentioned. At the risk of repeating what everyone else seem's to say, go Nanok!

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I'd vote for Alpkit, when things warm up in synthetic you start to sweat, I found my down bag much more breathable and therefore usable over a greater range of temperatures. I really can't see us needing -10 bags in Southern UK much any more and them being extra weight and too warm.

I know of the cruel methods of down harvesting - but that choice is up to you.

I prefer down, I lose less sleep thinking of the eiders than being too hot.:tapedshut

I'd vote for Alpkit, when things warm up in synthetic you start to sweat, I found my down bag much more breathable and therefore usable over a greater range of temperatures. I really can't see us needing -10 bags in Southern UK much any more and them being extra weight and too warm.

I know of the cruel methods of down harvesting - but that choice is up to you.

I prefer down, I lose less sleep thinking of the eiders than being too hot.:tapedshut

i found i had sweat dripping of my feet in the snugpack the other day i was in a hammock so they where slightly elevated (heat rises) but the military ones are also lined at the bottom so you can keep your boots on its a center burst zip so the bottom was open as is the top
as below its a little tight on me if done up
i dont like hot either wish my 58 was smaller n lighter :(

ATB

Duncan

Bozle

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Kent
Hi Dandaman

I've got a snugpak elite 3 - minus the stuffsac/bunged in the bottom of the rucksack liner it fits into your weight range, but I have noticed prices going a tenner or so north since I got mine so it might not fit the price criteria.

I like it for the UK- (maybe the 2 version would be better) the adjustable baffle really gives a wide range of tempertures and lets the more active sleeper really roll around. To reiterate the dougster a -10 bag in the uk would be quite unpleasant for most people except the coldest of cold sleepers.

Can you tell us more about what you plan to be doing/ conditions you plan to use it in, particular grumbles about past sleeping bags etc.?

BushTucker

Settler
Feb 3, 2007
Weymouth
All these bags sound nice, but for us big buggers they may be a little small. The one I use is only cheap, but very warm to the extreme sometimes but is big enough for me.
Its a Litchfield trekker 250 XL.
Bulky though but does squeeze nicely into the bottom storer in my Hylander 88.

Dandaman_24

Tenderfoot
Aug 1, 2007
W Midlands
Ok then, I will be using the bag for general camping to autumn to mid winter, under tarp / bivi bag.

I'm roughly 5"10 and 10st 4, so size of bag isnt too important.

One problem i have with the nanok 10, is the weight, if im right its nearly 2kg or thereabouts, quite a weight for a bag.

Bozle

Tenderfoot
Jun 19, 2006
Kent
Dandaman -yeah both the snugpak bags will be good for year-round
(maybe upgrade with a liner in winter- those -3/-5 temp ratings are the lowest people can stand without warming themselves up, rather than the lowest to sleep in.)

Definitely agreed on the weight of the nanok bags making them a bit too hefty to be useful.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE