Sleeping Bag Suggestion - Down.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurence Milton

Settler
Apr 7, 2016
suffolk
Bearing in mind TD originally specified that expanda panels were used (as I do with my Softie 15), the Alpkit and Rab down bags will all come up tight.
I was thinking along similar lines as TD awhile ago, but decided my Snugpak was a keeper....

Reactions: TeeDee

gibson 175

Apr 9, 2022
West Yorkshire
For when the chill really hits, a lightweight 700 down jacket & a pair of quilted trousers works for a cosy nights sleep in the sleeping bag.
Plus you could wear them during the day when chillaxing.
A good pair of thick loose woollen socks does wonders too.
I was thinking of doing similar for winter uk camping. What jacket and quilted trousers would you use. Trouser wise I have been looking at rab photon pants(primaloft gold) and rab Argon down pants which I imagine are the warmer of the 2. Just started my research into this so haven't looked at others yet. I have some snugpak softie trousers but am guessing they would not be as warm as the rabs. I assume that in our damp climate synthetic is best,whilst of course being less compressible.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I’ve tried down an alpkit 800 but even in morning dew or slightly damp conditions it has let me down (no pun intended).
Unless your in a tent it will give a little more protection but am still a bivi and basha camper.
Also I am a wriggler and most down bags are a tighter fit to a synthetic and because of the material down bags stick to you more.
I own a snugpak centre zips which combine and a Brit army issue 95.

The important consideration for me and maybe you is a good nights comfort and warmth especially around the 4am so personally I am not too bothered about the above bags bulk or weight.

Saying that each to our own and I guess you got to try down.

Love to know what you got and thought about it ?

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE