• Snugpak VTS

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
I currently use a down Rab- perfect
but I am looking to get a synthetic one- reading up on other people's comments, I'd like to know which you feel is one that gives me the best flexibility
i.e can be separated when too hot but zipped together when cold. Can't make up my mind!-

either the
Snugpak VTS / Versatile Tactical System, Extreme Performance
here
Confused as description says 'tropical conditions then says -15 to -20....
or
Snugpak Special Forces Complete System
here

Weight and size are always an issue- small and light is best for me. Good foot bucket is important too. I loathe my feet bent forward!

I welcome your advice and comments as to why you'd chose one over the other.
Thank you very much

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
I'd stick to a down sleeping bag personally. They pack small, are light and last a lot longer. I find they tend to drape better and prevent drafts, especially when using them as a duvet on warmer nights.

The usual pap you here about not being able to dry them out easily is true, but then the same thing is true for synthetic bags in any practical sense. Get a good dry bag and be paranoid about keeping any type of bag dry. If you do get it wet you are going to have to fall back on your bush skills until its dry which will take some time even with a fire (don’t melt it)......

Spunyarn

Tenderfoot
Nov 11, 2008
UK
I have a snugpak softie 6, kestrel.
Warm enough for me at night, and very light and packs very small.
They're also alot cheaper now than when I got mine 5 or 6 years ago.
She's still going strong.

bert333

Settler
Jan 15, 2008
Earth- for awhile longer...
I am not changing from down to - but I need a synthetic bag for my next trip and I need to make up my mind as to which one to take.
My RAB is still number one bag!! but next trip is different - very different-
I am hoping for some collective thoughts from those who use either of the two bags I am asking about.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I haven't had experience of either of those two bags. I have had a couple of Snugpak bags though. I find the temperature ratings very optimistic in general.

With regard to the first bag, I doubt very much a sleeping bag that weighs 3.4kg (Is that right, it's very, very heavy?) will "pack smaller than a coconut".

They both seem very heavy. There might be better choices for the task (that you haven't stated). What made you come down to the choice of these two bags, over say something by Nanok, if you want synthetic?

Just looked again - the coconut is 35 x 29 cm!!!

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I have just purchased the Snugpak Antartica RE supposedly -20 to -50 I'm taking that with a pinch of salt though. However as I see it if it works well to -10 I'll be a very happy bunny cos I tend to run cold at night due to a medical condition, my first out with it hopefully will be this weekend.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Another thing to bear in mind is that a manufacturer's "extreme" rating isn't what the average user expects - it's the temperature at which the user is expected to survive, but probably suffer loss of digits etc from frostbite! That's extreme!

Also, ratings make a number of assumptions including the user's a healthy, young male who's recently had a hot meal and there's decent insulation below the sleeping bag.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
extreme being that you will still be alive in the morning not that you will get a good nights sleep. down has serious drawbacks so having a synthetic makes sense. the snugpack kit is good stuff especially when they get the bonus of military contracts.

you'll find the mil spec ones are often made slightly larger with tougher fabric and zips which makes them a touch heavier but bombproof. the thicker fabric also makes them a tad warmer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE