Sleeping bag choice...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JungleJim

Mar 2, 2007
Birmingham
I've done a bit of reading around this subject on the forum but I'm struggling to decide on my next bag. I'm looking at:

Ajungilak Tyin 3 season
Nanok SF -10
Woodlore Golden Eagle

I quite like the idea of a central zip (I also fish at night) but not the premium this bag makes over the SF -10. Any views would be useful particularly over the Ajungilak bag which doesn't seem to get much attention.

Thanks

Oli

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
I know the problem. I've spent ages looking at a decent 3 to 4 season bag. Now thats it's nearly spring :rolleyes: I've decided to order. My options were similar to yours:

Nanok -10
Woodlore Golden Eagle
Alpkit Alpine Dream 700

I decided on the Nanok because:

1. There's a deal on in several online stores (probably an over-riding factor)
2. The zip on two sides might be as good as a central zip (I'd prefer a central zip but not at the high cost of the Golden Eagle)
3. I think a synthetic bag is better than down in UK's damp conditions.
4. Nanok and Woodlore are more or less the same size and weight

I can't comment on whether this was a good choice as I've not received the bag yet.

Hope this helps

Pablo

JungleJim

Mar 2, 2007
Birmingham
That's about where I've go on this. Considering you can pick up a Nanok for less than £70 delivered I would be mad to buy the Ajungilak or worse still the same bag with a centre zip for more than twice the price!

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Do you own either bag?

Are the materials used in these bags the same?

I have used both in the past. I think they have the same synthetic filling, and If I remember correctly the woodlore has a ripstop like nylon shell.... not sure on the standard Nanok, but I'm sure someone on here will know.

Sorry I cant be much more help.

:)
Ed

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Zammo said:
The only down side of the bag I can think of is its size.

Check it out, much cheapness!

I agree with Zammo, however I don't think you'll get a bag much smaller with the same (accurate) rating unless you go for a bag which costs £180-£250 . Although I'm open to correction of course.

Pablo

mrstorey

Forager
I've been using down for a few years now, and I'd be loath to go back to synthetic. I get more loft (ie warmth) for the same weight and pack size - and definitely enjoy a far less sweaty sleep.

Many down bags, such as RAB and Mountain Equipment, have a Pertex (or similar) outer too, meaning you have to really damn hard if you want to drench the down. Although they're at the expensive end of the market, I know there are cheaper choices out there, like Alpkit's down sleeping bag range, which are incredibly good value.

If you're really worried about getting it wet, you could get an outer liner, like the Snugpak Bivvy Bag or Rab's Survival Zone, which packs down to nothing and can be slipped over the bag to add protection if the weather is really foul.

At the end of the day it's your decision, of course, but it's definitely worth exploring all the options - down and synthetic - before you plump for your choice.

M.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have both the Nanok 0 and -10 and the Woodlore equivalents (Osprey and Golden Eagle), although much more expensive the Woodlore bags are very different from the Nanok ones, some of those differences are described in this thread...

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=17185&highlight=nanok

The nanoks pack smaller, the Woodlores take up a lot of space in a rucksack, the Woodlores keep me warmer, the Woodlores have superior zips which never catch and jam on the bag fabric (something that happens on my Nanoks a lot). the single central zip makes using the Woodlores in a hammock a better experience.

I've also used my Golden Eagle during a three month trek across Turkey, it was never clammy and always comfortable.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
I've given up on bags and made a quilt from an American kit.
Only used it in a boat and in the back of my landy as yet but it was very good. I sleep on a self inflating mat.
Seems to me that with a bag a good part of your filling is compressed beneath you and I don't like my arms to be restricted. I sleep hot, and cool down by putting legs and arms outside the covers until I'm comfy.
With the quilt you can also reverse it and sit out a cool evening with it over your head and wrapped around you.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
mrstorey said:
Many down bags, such as RAB and Mountain Equipment, have a Pertex (or similar) outer too, meaning you have to really damn hard if you want to drench the down. Although they're at the expensive end of the market, I know there are cheaper choices out there, like Alpkit's down sleeping bag range, which are incredibly good value.

I'll second that one, my Mountain Equipment bag has been out three times now, twice during a violent rain storm.

Thanks to the excellent outer coating the water just beads off - honestly I was tempted to use it as a rain cover if it didn't make for such a nice seat!

The only down side is that I feel almost honoured every time I touch it - I even found myself using a couple of wet wipes before stuffing it back into it's sack, not to mention that it has pride of place hanging in the corner of my room to ensure it doesn't loose any of its insulation properties!

Agile

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE