sleep setup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Don't suppose there's much difference but LOL means Lots of Laughs to me rather than laughs out loud :eek:):

Oh and I'd guess ROTFLMAO means rolling on the floor laughing my bottom off.... :rolmao:

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
For me it is ... (how original :wink: ):
- Bivvy bag (cheap dutch army version, needs replacement)
- Ajungilak Kompakt 3 season sleeping bag
- 3/4 Thermarest (in a lovely orange color)
- Poncho (US type; Need to replace it for a larger basha thingy :naughty: )

and / or:
- Hennessey hammock :biggthump

Off topic:
Simon, SWMBO isn't in the list :roll: - I know it means, when you lads type it, your lovely wife ... but the exact meaning ... :?:

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
For me its a reindeer fur as a cover under the sleeping back
sometimes I put some layers of pine twigs and needles under the reindeer fur first.

Sleeping back Nanok -25 Endurance, snowhole and the rest of it but rather would like to get a tipi with a nice stove, thats my dream when I have some more money.

cheers
Abbe

simonsays

Forager
Sep 9, 2004
sunderland
Ahjno said:
For me it is ... (how original :wink: ):
- Bivvy bag (cheap dutch army version, needs replacement)
- Ajungilak Kompakt 3 season sleeping bag
- 3/4 Thermarest (in a lovely orange color)
- Poncho (US type; Need to replace it for a larger basha thingy :naughty: )

and / or:
- Hennessey hammock :biggthump

Off topic:
Simon, SWMBO isn't in the list :roll: - I know it means, when you lads type it, your lovely wife ... but the exact meaning ... :?:

Pushing even further off topic..... She Who Must Be Obeyed :rolmao:

B

Bob Hurley

A tarp and a wool blanket, two blankets if it's expected to be below freezing. I get wet sometimes, I just build the fire up a big bigger and the wool dries before long. It's fairly warm even when wet. There's usually a pretty thick lower canopy here in Tennessee, so it isn't hard to stay out of the direct downpours.

One trip it did rain very hard all night and I spent most the night standing by the fire with my blanket over my head. The blanket stayed warm and dry on the inside, but I sure didn't get much rest.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
simonsays said:
Pushing even further off topic..... She Who Must Be Obeyed :rolmao:

:shock: :roll:

Thanks Simon :biggthump

Bob - Why not investing in a bivvy bag? Keeps you dry and thus a good nights sleep. No need for standing near your fire ...
As said below: you'll sleep for about 1/3 of your life ... so do it well :wink:

dchinell

Tenderfoot
Oct 11, 2004
Sarasota, Florida, USA
I'm in a hammock when I sleep.

In the summer, I use nothing more than the hammmock and a mosquito net.

In the winter, I add closed cell foam pads (cut down to two 2 x 3 foot [~ 60 x 90 cm] pieces) and a thinsulate poncho liner or Exped Wallcreeper as a quilt.

If it's really cold, I use a Speer PeaPod, which is a rectangular quilt with drawstrings at the ends and velcro tape along the edges. This goes around the outside of the hammock, thus avoiding compression of the insulation below me. Toasty.

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Product Pictures/product Pictures.htm

Bear

Mat

Forager
Nov 20, 2003
Hampshire
Has anyone here used Ray Mears' Eco Hammock? I already have a Hootchie and was cosidering buying the hammock using my well earnt overtime cash! I've bought a few items from Woodlore and am always impressed with their quality, price and service but this seems a tad expensive??

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Mat said:
Has anyone here used Ray Mears' Eco Hammock? I already have a Hootchie and was cosidering buying the hammock using my well earnt overtime cash! I've bought a few items from Woodlore and am always impressed with their quality, price and service but this seems a tad expensive??

Wow! that is expensive! considering its just a hootchie, net and simple hammock. You could buy an entire hennessy system with insulation for less than that. Or look at the speer hammock that were mentioned a couple of posts ago. Speer sells kits as well as pre made hammock, for quite an ok cost.
The eco hammock looks really nice... I just think that there are better things out there, lighter, easier to keep warm and far more compact.
But I havent seen it in the flesh... feel free to fill me in on something I'm missing :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE