Slaughtered my first lamb today! (Contains picture)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
If this thread is in the wrong folder, please let me know!

As the title suggests, I slaughtered my first lamb today :D
Of course I cut myself too during the skinning, but hey, I´m pretty satisfied with the outcome!
I had the opportunity to join a group with a professional slaughter to guide us through it all, and had a really nice day.
Now the lamb just needs to hang for about 4-5 days before I start quartering (is that the correct word in english?) it.

I´m really looking forward to making my own salted lamb ribs for the first time!

Lammeslakt by Lykketrollet, on Flickr

Untitled by Lykketrollet, on Flickr

samobaggins

On a new journey
Mar 26, 2014
Bicester
Yes to your English. And this is something I would love to learn. How long did it take to get to this stage from slaughter?

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Ah, nice to know what things are called in english ;) Thanks!

I have a lot of pictures but I´m a bit concerned that someone might find them shocking or traumatizing, so I went for a "safe" photo. I don´t want to offend anyone :)
But if you would like pics of the process I have several.

From the moment we put the bullet in the head of the animal, until it was finished like in the picture, it took me maybe 30-35 min. I´m a new beginner at animals this size, so the professionals will probably use maybe 15 min or so.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Arya - I asked the mods to check my pictures of dressing out chickens and they said they were fine in "fair game". I see no reason why a lamb is different.

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Ok, here goes:

Lammeslakt8 by Lykketrollet, on Flickr
After shooting the animal in the head, quickly cut the throat and let it bleed out. We started the skinning at the breastbone, down the neck and out on the front legs. Then we made a small cut at the knee joint and snapped of the bottom of the front leg.

Lammeslakt7 by Lykketrollet, on Flickr
On male lambs be removed the foreskin and testicles, then started skinning the abdomen and back legs. Backlegs are snapped off below the hock.

Lammeslakt10 by Lykketrollet, on Flickr
The breast opened with a saw until end of breastbone.

Lammeslakt5 by Lykketrollet, on Flickr
Then we hung it up by the back legs and cut around the anal opening, cutting free the urinal tract and shoving the poo further in the anal canal before it to was cut free.

Lammeslakt3 by Lykketrollet, on Flickr
Then the skin was pulled of the back and neck, and the head cut completely off.

Lammeslakt11 by Lykketrollet, on Flickr
Bowel opened and intestines removed.

Lammeslakt9 by Lykketrollet, on Flickr
And behold; the end result of one of the lambs! The painting on the wall in the background ironically says "I love you", so I think this will be next years Valentines card for my boyfriend....

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
The faces of the people are blurred, because I haven´t asked permission to put their faces on the web.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Great post!
A very good skill to acquire; slaughtering.
Did my first hare last year, helped fielddressing a moosecalf and witnessed the slaughtering of an adult moose. It is basically all the same, I guess.
And those who find images like these offensive.....

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
The black and the brown ones are, when I translate, Old Norwegian Spælsau - Gammelnorsk Spælsau. A very old and good breed, but a little smaller than our modern sheep. In many ways better than the modern sheep.
Mine was a regular Norwegian White Sheep. Very inventive name...

Last edited:

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Great post!
A very good skill to acquire; slaughtering.
Did my first hare last year, helped fielddressing a moosecalf and witnessed the slaughtering of an adult moose. It is basically all the same, I guess.
And those who find images like these offensive.....

Thank you! :D
Yes, it is basically the same, so I think it is very good to know how to do it properly, as you also said :)

bearbait

Are you going to get the skin tanned? I used to get mine done by a lady nearby who did organic tanning. Unsurprisingly my dogs used to like to lie on them!

I found keeping the sheep on to 3/4, maybe 5 years old improved the flavour, more of a full flavour than lamb. We call it mutton. (Someone once said to me "Never eat anything that hasn't had a birthday." And I think that's probably true.)

Enjoy your meals...

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
Yes, we collected all the skins and they are sent to a professional for the job. My dog has her own sheep skin as well :D It is great, especially when the dog is allowed in the couch :eek:

I prefer older animals as well, unlike many of my friends. I love a stronger taste off "sheep" than one gets from lamb. With that said, I´ll hardly complain about the lamb when I put my teeth in its juicy thighs :naughty:

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
The black and the brown ones are, when I translate, Old Norwegian Spælsau - Gammelnorsk Spælsau. A very old and good breed, but a little smaller than our modern sheep. In many ways better than the modern sheep.
Mine was a regular Norwegian White Sheep. Very inventive name...

Thanks for that, the name led me to Wikipedia where there is more info, quite a hardy breed it looks. :)

Arya

Settler
May 15, 2013
Norway
They are quite impressive I think :) They are also a much better breed to keep in wolf areas, because they still have a good pack- and fleeing sense, less "stupid" than the modern sheep.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Good clear information & pictures there. Your English is pretty faultless.
Good skill to learn and can be transcribed to all sorts of beasts. A farmer friend of a friend sells off lambs/hoggets, and buying a half or whole one is much cheaper than going to a butcher.
After being taught on rabbits as a child I moved on and taught myself on bigger beasts like red stags which I used to shoot at work. Very satisfying going from live beast to meat on the plate all by your own hand.
Like you I prefer older mutton, lovely deeper taste, especially when allowed to graze on wild herbage. Goat is very nice too, though I always get slightly attached to them as they have great personalities. My favourite of all ungulates.
Interesting to hear how the new homestead is coming along.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Brilliant! :lmao:

I don't know, used to know a young butcher many years ago who sent a heart in a box with a note saying "My heart is yours", to another he sent an eye with "I have much eye on you" (these were animal parts, he was a butcher).
Needless to say neither girl spoke to him again, one of them threatened to send her big brother around.
Maybe different a girl sending to a boy, but girls seemingly no likey!

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE