Slate.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Could it be part of a sluice or drainage channel, being near a ford, the water may have been diverted in the old days, as you have said you have found other pieces, could be an early drain into the close waterway. Be interesting to find out what was on the site in past times.

• Love
Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Could it be part of a sluice or drainage channel, being near a ford, the water may have been diverted in the old days, as you have said you have found other pieces, could be an early drain into the close waterway. Be interesting to find out what was on the site in past times.
maybe!!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
One thing to consider is that unless the slate is native to the site, then it is, and to a large extent always has been, fairly expensive to obtain worked and finished slate pieces. Especially if it had to be transported any distance and is of any decent size. Split slates for roofing are not the size of the pieces you describe.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
We haven't seen this piece of stone yet, TeeDee :)

Is there any obvious mortar staining on it? Has it got a crisply cut or a crumbly, ragged edge?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
We haven't seen this piece of stone yet, TeeDee :)

Is there any obvious mortar staining on it? Has it got a crisply cut or a crumbly, ragged edge?

I'll take some phots in the morning - this bit and the other bits.

Like i say I THINK its slate - I have no idea what else it could be.

I never realised it would generate such interest and discussion!! :)

Reactions: Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
There's other bits??!!! :)

Have I got this right; you are in Wales? I lived in the Rhondda as a kid ... there was slate all over the place. But I think mainly from the north and mid Wales - I don't remember seeing slate quarries in the south ... blue pennant quarries everywhere there was house though

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
There are Devonian Slates that were used extensively for buildings; I'm not sure of the quality though - I believe they were coloured (not grey)

I'm sure its the finest of the finest slate ever. Fact. Immutable.

:)

• Haha
Reactions: Broch

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
There's other bits??!!! :)

Have I got this right; you are in Wales? I lived in the Rhondda as a kid ... there was slate all over the place. But I think mainly from the north and mid Wales - I don't remember seeing slate quarries in the south ... blue pennant quarries everywhere there was house though

No mate - I'm down in namby-pamby soft-skinned cider drinking, turnip munching , cow rustling Devon.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
:) Ah, must be getting my avatars mixed up, I think. My mum and dad wanted to move back to Devon at one point. Wish they had.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Cider pressing ? :dunno:
Can't see it needing all that slate though.
A really stable base for the press and some channelling for the raw must to be put into barrels, and I think that's about it really.

Good worked slate, in really sizeable slices....not usually used for flooring or architectural apart from roofs, shelves and something you really need to be level.

We know that slate was used for pantries, for dairies, basically chill areas that needed clean surfaces. They didn't have plastic workstops in the past. They did have marble but it's porous and easily stained. Wood is good, takes scrubbing, but slate is preferred.

Middle of this page, fifth photo down.

Audley End, country house, it's larder....
audley-end-house-and.jpg

Does anything look familiar about your pieces compared to these ones ?

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I wonder if is it the stuff that fell my great great grandad's cart when we where fleeing from the anti Beard pogram in the late 1850's ( There was no wick-ped-ia in those days so don't bother to look it up.) As such you are duty bound to pack it up and send to our house. ... cos my nan says it's the law init.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
I wonder if is it the stuff that fell my great great grandad's cart when we where fleeing from the anti Beard pogram in the late 1850's ( There was no wick-ped-ia in those days so don't bother to look it up.) As such you are duty bound to pack it up and send to our house. ... cos my nan says it's the law init.

Ahhhhhh... could be , it just could be....

But let me remind you of the age old Ye Law in Devonshire ( greatest of shires by a long shot... ) , and adage born or time and blood itself that simply translates as:-

" Don't start trouble... won't be trouble.... init...."

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
But where did this come from then: "If in trouble or doubt run around in circles on a slate, scream and shout."?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE