skull, faeces and pigeon kill ID please!

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
I had a mooch around a favourite haunt of mine at the weekend and came accross a couple of strange sitings. The first was a headless pigeon, still fresh, just downhill of some plucked white downy feathers (looked to be from the pigeon). There was a pile of faeces a couple of feet from it too.

DSCF0182.jpg

DSCF0183.jpg

DSCF0188.jpg

then I found a skull washed up in the margins of a small reservoir;

DSCF0191.jpg

DSCF0192.jpg

any ideas guys?

much appreciated

J

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Can't tell as there is no scale to compare it against. Certainly rodent. Probably rat or rabbit. Pigeon was raptor kill, possibly sparrowhawk or buzzard. No doubt you disturbed it as they take the head for themselves, then pluck the body and take the remaining meat to the chicks.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
there were a pair of big birds fleeing the scene but the tree tops had obscured my view a lot! sounds like you are spot on. Plenty of rabbits around, they frequently feed by the waters edge

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
If there was a pair, then I would certainly go with buzzard. They would have been back as soon as you left the scene.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
definately a pair, high pitched call! shame I didnt get a better view of them :(

p.s. I think the skull was around 2 1/2 in. long?

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
definately a pair, high pitched call! shame I didnt get a better view of them :(

p.s. I think the skull was around 2 1/2 in. long?

Yeah, that's rabbit. Possibly old buzzard kill too.

New project for you then, track them and the nest site. Won't be too far off if the pair are feeding there. Great opportunities to see kill signs and buzzard behaviour.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I'm not convinced it was a buzzard that killed the dove. If there were no peregrines or goshawks in the area my money would be on a female sparrowhawk. Why? firstly I believe this bird was killed in the air, there are no signs of attack near or around the deceased,( blood, mass of feathers etc.) so we can assume it wasn't killed where it lay..buzzards cannot (usually) kill birds in flight.....secondly, the removal of the head is charateristic of sparrowhawks & goshawks
Thirdly, but by no means conclusively, a buzzard could easily fly off with a dove should it be disturbed, whereas a sparrowhawk would have more difficulty. I suggested a female sparrowhawk, as being larger, they specailise in hunting larger birds whereas males usually hunt the smaller passerines.
The rabbit skull could well be an old buzard kill, but how it ended the water, who knows...A large.part of it's left zygomatic have been nibbled, but by whom ?
Birds of prey have liquid droppings but eliminate the non digested parts of their meal (fur, feathers, bits of bone) by rejecting, through their beaks, compacted pellets. I cannot tell if the mummified object in the photo is one or not.
The sight of the 2 birds, may have been buzzards, ( sparrowhawks would have been harder to spot due to their speed ), they may even have scared away the original killer & were preparing to eat just before the OP arrived....As we well know, the suspect(s) found at the scene of the crime, is/are not necessarily the perpetrator(s).
Hen harriers arn't completely off my list either.

Last edited:

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
It really depends, Ive seen buzzard kills that knock the head clean off during a strike. And the reason JD suggested it was buzzard is because the OP said he saw a pair of birds flying off as he approached. If we could get mor information on the area and how/where from you approached it might give a clearer image of what happened.

Loz*

May 24, 2011
United Kingdom
We have a pair of perregrines around here, they often hassle my neighbours racing pigeons, much to my amusement.
One perregrine gets underneath the pigeons and tries to drive them higher up into the sky then the other one who is well up high swoops down and picks them off, better than going to an airshow!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE