skull duggery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Out tracking to day (tenuous link I know but where do I post it?) And found this

Heres another

Now I know its got canines but thats about the extent of my knowledge!!!! Dog/fox?
Dave
Just dont tell the missus its now in the shed!

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
What is the size of it ? My guess would be a dog or a wolf. A fox' skull is a bit more "flat". Or if you wish, the bone that goes from the forehead (frontal bone) to the upper jaw has a less "steep slope" than a dog/wolf frontal bone, if that makes any sense :rolleyes: . Pictures always help : Fox and Wolf. My other guess would be a coyote maybe.

Are you planning on transforming it in a candle holder / cranium drinking glass / evil artifact ? ;)

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Yea sorry about that I carry a small tape measure for scale but it was lashing down and didnt want to have the camera out for too long. Will put up a better pic I was thinking small dog but as I have never seen a fox's skull...
Ta Dave:rolleyes:

leon-1

Dave a lateral picture would be best, it will show the concave or flatness of the skull running from forehead to nose, it will also show the the difference of the zygomatic arch. Unfortunately you will not be able to see the difference in the post orbital process as thus appears to be where the skull has broken off a bit

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Dave a lateral picture would be best, it will show the concave or flatness of the skull running from forehead to nose, it will also show the the difference of the zygomatic arch. Unfortunately you will not be able to see the difference in the post orbital process as thus appears to be where the skull has broken off a bit

I'd have to agree with you on everything you said there Leon :confused: :confused: :confused: er yes, yes er..... zygomatic arch.... and erm post orbital process....yes exactly what I'd have said. :D :cool:

leon-1

I'd have to agree with you on everything you said there Leon :confused: :confused: :confused: er yes, yes er..... zygomatic arch.... and erm post orbital process....yes exactly what I'd have said. :D :cool:

Okay, so in translation.

Dave a picture from the side of the skull would be best, it will show the concave or flatness of the skull running from forehead to nose, it will also show the the difference of the cheekbone. Unfortunately you will not be able to see the difference in the post orbital process (the area on a dog and a wolf that houses an enlarged sinus area) as that appears to be where the skull has broken off a bit.

Happy now:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE