Skrama

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Thinking of getting one of the Skrama units - undecided on model but probably the longer one - but feel free to try and talk me out of it.

Also thinking that I'm going to go for one without the handle ( scales ) as i'd like to replace with something more Hiz Viz so I can see it when I drop it..

Anyone rehandled their Skarma? Please show and tell.

Also I see there are a few options ref sheaths - are any of them any good or not??

What else do I need to know?

Last edited:
Reactions: pwb

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Longer or shorter Skrama depends of what intended use is. They are basicly the same but the longer one = more power in the chopping. And the shorter is a little bit easier (shorter and 150g lighter) for belt carry.

Reactions: TeeDee

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I saved a few quid use a British bayonet frog as a sheath which is pretty much perfect.
I thought the dangler was weak on the puukko sheath and imagined the skrama to be of the same leather

Does anyone have the short one yet?

Reactions: Nice65 and TeeDee

pwb

I quite fancy rehandling one with a billhook handle, on my list of things I'd like to do anyway.
I made a sheath for a billhook out of an appropriately sized chainsaw bar cover rides on a belt pretty well.
Looking forward to what you come up with.

Pete.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So supplied sheath not up to task. I admit it does look cheap.

I think I'll be opting for the longer model without a sheath and get a decent Kydex or nice bit of leather made up with a sharpen stone pouch.

I see there is a stainless and a Carbon steel blade available? any comment?

Does the supplied handle do a good job grip wise? does it absorb the shock from chopping well?

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland

Does the supplied handle do a good job grip wise? does it absorb the shock from chopping well?
I would recommend the carbon steel.
Handle is very good, does not slip and absorb chock. At least I have no complaints.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
So supplied sheath not up to task. I admit it does look cheap.

I think I'll be opting for the longer model without a sheath and get a decent Kydex or nice bit of leather made up with a sharpen stone pouch.

The plastic slip sheath is certainly up to the job of securely protecting you and the blade. For the big original Skrama it’s best suited as a pack knife.

The leather sheaths have the formed plastic sheaths inside anyway so if you can afford it, get the leather sheath version. And having had several of the range pass my way, I’d get the 240. I haven’t tried the 200, but I know the 240 has its weight and grip options spot on. They used to do a red handled version which was stainless steel, but it seems to be no more.

I also highly recommend the rubber handle over anything you or anyone can fit. It’s very grippy, and moulded perfectly. All the Terava range have excellent handles. They cannot be beat, not with wood, micarta, or G10, they just work very well. Get a 240 and leather sheath, you won’t regret it.

I think you took the use of the Brit Army Frog sheath as a slight on the leather Varu option. You misunderstood a little bit, the simplest Skrama sheath is the plastic version. It just about squeezes into the frog sheath, works very well like this. But honestly, I’d get the leather dangler, the Terava range are built like tanks. Sheath in my scrappy pics below is on the puukko 140. There’s a plastic insert, the knife does rattle in there, but it’s very secure. With the pop stud done up, the knife is not coming out. On the Skrama it’s a loop which does the same job. Also the plastic sheath is formed for a click fit, even has a place for the thumb to push it out safely.

Attachments

• 7067A074-9980-481B-A797-453F0ABB8F64.jpeg
    7067A074-9980-481B-A797-453F0ABB8F64.jpeg
    30.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 143193DC-DEFC-436D-B735-AE041CFD5CD4.jpeg
    143193DC-DEFC-436D-B735-AE041CFD5CD4.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Skrama 200 inside bayonette frog.
Picture from Varustelekas facebook.

93389807_10158155332478879_5496349492133232640_o.jpg

Reactions: Nice65

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Just ordered a 200 with the plastic sleeve. I'm a lefty and they don't yet do a left handed leather sheath so I'll make my own over the liner.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
As Rich (Nice65) says above, the full size skrama is spot on and the handle very well suited to it, not pretty but this is a tool built to work hard rather than a bit of bling to put on a shelf :)

Likewise the leather sheath is well made and robust and secure, a great package all round if you have a need for that kind of working tool, but by definition it's big and heavy on your belt so not one I wear just in case while out in the woods, it comes out when there's a particular job to be done be it coppicing (as a change from my billhooks), breaking down brash, dead hedging and similar, or sometimes just to play with round camp battoning firewood, pointing sticks and the like ! :D

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
Went to look at my skrama dangler and remembered I took it off and just attach the metal d ring to my general use dangler. I use that instead as it's detachable with popper studs so no need to undo my belt and mess about threading stuff on and off.

The puukko one looks to be about 2mm, possibly 2.5mm thick leather ? Seems fine quality wise to me although this has just reminded me I meant to take it off as well for the same reason, rather than tucking it out of the way every time I use it ! :)

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
If the 200 blade blank still looks like this,

zm0ilrk.jpg

Looks like the easier to rehandle.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I've thought about getting one of the 240s and doing something like this:

25549.jpg

Full-Size-Render-2.jpg

it would make it more interesting visually but you're not going to replicate the give of then original. I do have a block of rubber here that was intended for a bladesports cutter but then if you're doing that, you may as well get the original.

Reactions: TeeDee and Nice65

Mowmow

Forager
Jul 6, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Big fan of the long handled skrama. Carbon steel, the handle is grippy and absorbs shock well, it is comfortable even after endless hacking.

I used to use a bayonet frog then got the leather dangler sheath.
Both leave a bit to be desired imo.
Always just ended up leaving the bayonet frog in my bag.
Although the plastic sheath/blade cover is a brilliant idea it drains water well and has good blade retention n doesnt rattle all that much and no chance of your blade cutting through it. i prefer having the extra strap to secure the blade in place thats on the leather sheath.
Build quality and materials of the leather sheath are good enough, it looks the part, the rivets could be better though, mine has held up well they just dont scream quality. But the blade is very safe and secure. Its a Pain for belt carry though i think thats the case with any dangler style sheath on a blade so big. and while i really like it and i wish i had an option for horizontal carry on a belt or slung over the shoulder bandolier style without it swinging everywhere. Itd be up n out of the way, snug to the body, easier to remove, etc.

I really like the knives varusteleka are putting out there ya cant go far wrong, i also think for value for money the sheaths are brilliant on the smaller fixed blade knives, more than adequate. Really happy.

The skrama sheath could be better designed n heavier duty though as its bigger and heavier and more likely to catch on stuff n snag and therefore stress the sheath more n its a long, heavy swinging lump of metal. The sheath for the jaakaripuukos are bang on though

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
My small collection.

Between the 240 and the 200 the main difference would appear to 'just' be the handle length - double handed width or single hands with. As you have the full complement can I ask what you've discovered? Obviously longer handle is better for generating more leverage and chopping motion but which of them do you use most? ie Do you mostly use the 200 over the 240 until the 240 is most definitely needed??

Hope the question makes sense? Maybe not..

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Don´t use any of them much, just bought them because I want them. But for me the Skrama 200 seems more practical to carry on my chest rigg = shorter and lighter. And the mini-80 comes along as a pocket knife.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE