Ski's journey into the woods.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Hello fellow bushcrafters.

I have some piccies from last nights camp, It was my first solo camp and I absolutely loved it.

It was wet and muddy, perfect environment to test out my new Extreme Workers pants, spent almost an hour kneeling in mud and they held out, bone dry inside :

P1020184.jpg

Can anyone tell me what this tree is? I think its beech.

P1020222.jpg

P1020223.jpg

Also what is this tree? Looks like redcurrant, but it was very tall, so I assumed it was a tree.

P1020248.jpg

And now how to fail at bushcraft, here is what others left behind :nono:

P1020226.jpg

P1020227.jpg

P1020246.jpg

P1020247.jpg

Now you may understand why I started the "how to scare other campers away" thread tut tut

So I did my good deed for the day and took as much of their crap with me as I could carry.

P1020256.jpg

Thank you for looking. Any tips on the tree identification above is most welcomed.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good on you for tidying up the numpties carp goodjob It's nt a nice thing to have to do but if you care about a place then it's worth it.

As for the IDs, I think you're right with the beech and the red berries look like hawthorn to me, well the leaves do anyway ?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Good on ya for clearing up. goodjob

I hate to see the mess the lazy b******s leave.

Glad you had a good trip mate.

R3XXY

Settler
Jul 24, 2009
Crewe
Nice job on the clean up, it disgusts and angers me the way people leave trash everywhere.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Thanks for your kind reply's. I mearly took a full black binbag out of there, I could easily take another 10 bags by my calculations.

Speaking to people in the area, large groups of campers turn up, once they are done, they throw their tents onto the fire and leave. Sometimes they get all the rubbish, put it inside the tent and walk away.

There is a scouts group right nearby that seem to camp every weekend (or so), I would of thought they would do some litter picking at least once per year but I was mistaken.

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
notwanting to sound defeatist, but i think i'd try and find somewhere a little more remote to overnight,..

i know not everyones lucky enough to have it on their door step, but i have been looking for somewhere recently and thought i was stuck with local, or hiking too far,..

(not wanting to car it and park).

i found a good spot and got consent, but its too long to hike so i plan to get dropped off and picked back up, just gives more possibilities,..

anyway, well done, glad you enjoyed your self...

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Yup im always on a look out. Infact i've dedicated every monday to just exploring more local woods. Its what brought me to this forum in hopes of finding more spots and some were kind enough to share their spots with me, however some of them are a bit out of the way for me as we all seek that perfect spot walking distance from your house that no one has yet discovered (will never happen).

Although in the pictures above there is lots of fire pits and rubbish, where I pitch up is a hidden area that no one enters but me. Its only once you start walking around the woods you notice litter. Its still my ideal place as its so local, and ive been going there over 15 years.

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Well done on the cleaning op. Ski. Any photos of your camp setup? Did you get a chance to boil a billie or cook your supper?

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Oops lost track of this thread. I ALWAY's get a campfire for brews and food, no immidiate pictures at hand but usually a cheap 4.5 x 3 tarp gets put up at the sitting area.

So i went a little but futher out this weekend in search for fatwood. My brother came along with his amazing super duper camera and I have so many amazing photo's, but here is just 3.

The environment :
sun.jpg

Rain caught by camera :
rain.jpg

Got what I came for :
fat.jpg

Thank you for looking.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
great pics and very bad that the site was in that mess........ it the small amount of people like that that give all of us bushcrafters a bad name........

regards....

chris.........................................................

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Thanks Chris,

The mess was not left by bushcrafters but youth campers in my "local" woods. The more recent piccies are from the Lakes which thankfully had no rubbish around and plenty of fatwood :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE