Skinning Rabbits ( warning graphic)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
this is how i prefer to skin rabbits as i find it the neatest and easiest way to do so.

So after the rabbit has expired.
and the bladder emptied.
DSC00514.jpg

I take my knife and open up the rabbit from the Spine, the spine is easiest to get a neat cut and prevents me from risking a stinky Gut spillage.
DSC00518.jpg

I open the rabbit up from the back and slowly peel the skin off with my fingers, pushing the skin and the membrane apart.
DSC00519.jpg

next I cut the bones in the feet using My leatherman pliers, you can also just cut or break them, i find the leatherman is a bit easier and neater.
DSC00521.jpg

now its time to Remove the legs from the inside of the skin, both front and back.
DSC00522.jpg

Lastly i cut around the neck to prevent ripping and peel the skin of firmly but slowly, This will give you a nice pelt with minimal fat and blood to clean off.
DSC00523.jpg

afterwards i Paunch the rabbit, as experience has taught me that paunching in the jackets can ruin a nice pelt if i want to keep it for a tanning project.

Last edited:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Bad place to keep your pellets, apart from for decoration. The slightest knock can put a snick in the skirt of a pellet which can put it inches away from where you're aiming bud.

First thing to do it express the bladder - literally as soon as you pick the bunny up, squeeze down and out to clear it. You can delay the need to paunch it for a good long time provided there's no wee left in their bladder.

Cheers,

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Bad place to keep your pellets, apart from for decoration. The slightest knock can put a snick in the skirt of a pellet which can put it inches away from where you're aiming bud.

First thing to do it express the bladder - literally as soon as you pick the bunny up, squeeze down and out to clear it. You can delay the need to paunch it for a good long time provided there's no wee left in their bladder.

Cheers,

yeah otherwise it taints the meat. as for the stock, i find it an ideal pellet store, no problems with that and its easily accessable.

Tricia

Apr 30, 2010
Highlands
Thanks for these pics, nicely illustrated. I always skin my bunnies by cutting into the belly skin first, otherwise it`s pretty much the same. :)
(and have to get others to get them for me since I don`t own a gun :( )

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
There are almost as many ways to do this as there are people who do it!
If I don't want the pelt I cut all the way round the middle and pull. You end up with a clean rabbit in the middle and skin attached at feet, head and tail. Snip through those and job done.

Mark

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Good tutorial SF.

I still have to try your method for pigeon/feasant, every time i think about trying it i think "nah itll never work" :eek:

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
great tutorial mate, I was skinning down the gut before this, will deffo give this a go on the next one. I Also like the idea of using the pelts, I tie my own flies so they will come in useful.

Globetrotter.uk

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2008
Norwich UK
nice Tut mate im having my first go this weekend I hope and my first taste of bunny too. Mmmm me a fussy eater but at least I will try and then decide if I like it.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
nice Tut mate im having my first go this weekend I hope and my first taste of bunny too. Mmmm me a fussy eater but at least I will try and then decide if I like it.

Rabbit meat tends to come out very dry unless you can cook it in (or serve it with) a lot of sauce/gravy etc.
Mediterrranean or Greek recipes often call for shallots, olive oil and red wine to add moisture to the meal.

There's nothing wrong with the occasional camp fire roastred coney, but it can get a little bland after a while.

Well done on giving it a go, I hope you are successful in your hunt and that you enjoy the fruits of your labours.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
My 13 yo son and his friends skinned and paunched rabbits on their birthday bushcraft camp. We cooked the rabbits for three hours slowly in water with chicken stock - they were delicious. Rather like pheasant

NS

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
Size, age and sex of the rabbit also have a factor which determines how good they'll be for the pot.

All the old boys round here will pay a premium for a milky doe as they're considered the best eating.
A Doe tends to taste better than a buck due to the bucks having scent glands and a 3/4 size one is ideal, much more tender - The one in Josh's pic looks a perfect size.

I remember netting a massive old buck rabbit a couple of years ago, the biggest I've ever seen, and slow roasted it (6 hours!) with loads of butter/cayenne pepper rubbed all over and a nice moist stuffing but the bleeder was still tough as bullets.

Bucks go straight to the ferrets now.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE