Ski trousers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
Hi all.

I am going hiking and bivvy bagging in our mountains when it gets nice and cold and snowy. My question is this... can ski/snowboard/snow trousers be used for this sort of activity? Usually I would wear thermal leggings, hiking trousers and water proof trousers, but this only really keeps me warmish when I am walking or in my sleeping bag.

Thanks all in advance.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
I would say if you are wearing three layers and you are not warm enough in your bag you need a better bag. I would really overheat mountain walking all those leg layers. Waterproof trousers normally make you bake when walking? I wear keela scuffers for walking in and will add merino leggings at bed time. Boarding trews would be warmer but i know i couldnt walk in them. I guess it all depends how much you are happy to carry up the mountain. I am surprised though as legs are never difficult to keep warm if climbing mountains.

EdS

depends what you call ski trousers - I ski in either hard shell trousers or a pair of Montane Terra XT salopettes, so yes you can walking in ski trousers.

But if you mean the High St type padded ones - not really to bulky and heavy.

The Survivor

Nomad
Feb 1, 2013
On Earth
I would say if you are wearing three layers and you are not warm enough in your bag you need a better bag. I would really overheat mountain walking all those leg layers. Waterproof trousers normally make you bake when walking? I wear keela scuffers for walking in and will add merino leggings at bed time. Boarding trews would be warmer but i know i couldnt walk in them. I guess it all depends how much you are happy to carry up the mountain. I am surprised though as legs are never difficult to keep warm if climbing mountains.

Ok, sorry, badly written. I am warmish while walking, warm in bag. I have bad circulation.

Cheers guys. I am away to analyse my ideas and replies etc...then maybe have some ginger wine...

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Adding another pair or 2 of thermal leggings is often the best way of adding leg warmth. Padded trews like salopettes are good for immobile activity but are bulky and heavy. Extra leggings are easier to pack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE