Skadi - A long night.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I've put this up here because some of you know Skadi, our old mixed terrier.

Gary_and_Skadi.jpg

Last night she suffered a stroke, all the signs were there, staggering, confusion, circling and at times it was clear that she was in distress. She wasn't the least bit interested in food which we took as a very bad sign.

She had a similar stroke some time ago and largely recovered but this one appeared to be much more damaging and as we believe she is at least 17 years old we had been expecting something like this for a while.

There was little we could do until the vets opened in the morning so we set up a mattress downstairs next to the Vet-bedding that Martin gave us, where we knew she would be most comfortable, and sadly settled down with her for our last night together.

Late in the night she got up shakily and settled down on the quilt between us.

At about seven o'clock this morning, she stood up, gave herself a shake, wagged her tail and trotted into the kitchen to empty her food bowl.

You could have knocked me down with a feather. She is downstairs now sleeping on the sofa as if nothing has happened.

She seems a little shaky at times but I simply cannot believe her recovery. I'm sure if I had suffered something as serious as that it would be Debbie writing such a note to you today.

Of course, she may not be out of the woods yet but we are far more hopeful than we were last night.

I'll keep you informed as time goes on.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is good to hear that she is OK despite the episode but I realise that it must be concerning and stressful for you.
I hope her tail stays wagging for a while yet!

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
As I was reading your thread Wayland I was thinking oh no, I was so relieved to read that she seems ok. It is amazing that our 4 legged pals can be so tough, our collie got hit by a car a couple of years ago. I feared the worst as I saw him spinning above the height of the car, got him down the vest pdq and after a check up she gave him an anti inflamatary jab as she said he would be sore, next morning he was running around like nothing had happened.

I will wait for more good news from you!

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Poor little blighter. Amazing the way they can shrug things off.
Who knows might not have been another episode, could have been something altogether different and less serious.
Best wishes.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Best wishes that all's well for a while yet Gary :)

Skadi's such a character :D and has had such a rich, well loved life. Mixed terriers can be pretty hardy :cool:
I'm glad it wasn't her time to go yet :)

atb,
M

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I thought the worst reading the first lines of your post. Good on her, she's obviously made of stern stuff and I hope she's with you for a while longer yet.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I'm really glad she pulled through Gary... :)

It was with real trepidation and a heavy heart that I clicked on this thread expecting to hear some sad news.

Fingers crossed she continues to improve and you have a lot more time with her

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
Good on her. I have a fifteen year old Jack Russell who's in a pretty similar state, and when he goes it'll be horrible.
Hope Skadi is trotting at your heels for a long time yet.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Thats a good result Gary, I had a Jack Russell that had several strokes and made recoveries like that. She lived for about 5 years after her first episode.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hope she carries on battling Wayland and fingers crossed for the future.

It is amazing what dogs can get through.

udamiano

On a new journey
Thanks for that Gary.

I am so very please the little 'Furry Shark' has pulled though. I'm quite fond of Skadi, and would have been very sad... well you know what i mean.

All the very best to her, and my best wishes she gets better, Julie also sends her best wishes, and hopes for a full recovery.

Da

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Thank you for all your thoughts.

We're giving her a quiet day today and a little Spam as a treat.

She's snoozing on the sofa at the moment but she gets up every now and again to check her bowl and drink some water.

She seems right as rain now but I was convinced she was at death's door last night.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE