Size of tarp for hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Hi all, I've just purchased an uprated double zip Green Hornet from TW Hammocks, and I was wondering what size of tarp would be suitable? The hammock is quoted on the TW website as being 2.8m long - would a 3m tarp suffice to provide protection from the elements? (I'm a complete newb to hammocks and tarps btw lol) any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated! :hammock:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I found 3x3 to be okay unless it was wild weather, having another .5m really helps keep your hammock ends dry.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I would seriously consider getting a warrbonet superfly tarp mate!! They are worth every penny and having doors you can seal yourself up fro the bad weather outside

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
a 4x4 is what i would go with and wish i had bought in the first place.
The 3x3 will cover the ends but is not big enough to stop much wind, and if its raining and windy you get wet hammock ends.

Or as jacko said get a Superfly.......massive

adestu

Native
Jan 19, 2010
swindon
I'm hoping to use my alpkit rig 21. It might mean I'll have a hennessy explorer deluxe tarp going spare

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
A 3x3 tarp is perfectly adequate as long as you suspend it corner to corner, giving a ridge length of 4 and a bit metres. Most Hennessy and Warbonnet tarps have a ridge length of 3.30 to 3.60 and they know what they are doing.3x3 in an A frame would be inadequate IMO. For best weather protection, set the tarp ridge line fairly clsoe to the hammock ridge line.

Reactions: LarryBass

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A 3x3 tarp is perfectly adequate as long as you suspend it corner to corner, giving a ridge length of 4 and a bit metres. Most Hennessy and Warbonnet tarps have a ridge length of 3.30 to 3.60 and they know what they are doing.3x3 in an A frame would be inadequate IMO. For best weather protection, set the tarp ridge line fairly clsoe to the hammock ridge line.

Set in a diamond I find it's adequate but not ideal. I think a tarp works better in a A-frame, you just get more useful coverage giving you a living and storage space. In a diamond the hammock is covered but that's about it.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
3x3 will do but 4x4 would be your better option as you can use it in a frame style and fold in the ends like a tent.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
Has anyone tried the dd 3.5x2.4 tarps? Are they just a gimmick or worth buying?
The extra length on the ridge would cover the hammock ok from rain but what about the loss of material on the sides; 30cm either side. Is that detremental to weather protection? Or do you just have to hang the tarp closer to the hammock?

The dd website annoyingly only shows pics of the tarps set up without hammocks under them so its hard to judge how much coverage each size tarp would give.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
@Shewie - have oi disagree. I use a Hennessy Hex which is basically a diamond ridge length 3.6 with the outside corners cut off to reduce the coverage. With a 3x3, the ridgeline is over 4 metres, and the sides extend over 2 metres on each side. That gives enormous living room. Also only needs two pegs. Gives more coverage than Warbonnet Edge or MambaJamba or Hennessy Hex. usually less expensive too, so good for the budget minded.

Reactions: LarryBass

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
@Shewie - have oi disagree. I use a Hennessy Hex which is basically a diamond ridge length 3.6 with the outside corners cut off to reduce the coverage. With a 3x3, the ridgeline is over 4 metres, and the sides extend over 2 metres on each side. That gives enormous living room. Also only needs two pegs. Gives more coverage than Warbonnet Edge or MambaJamba or Hennessy Hex. usually less expensive too, so good for the budget minded.

We'll agree to disagree on that one then :)

Edit:

I've just drawn it out to make sure I wasn't going mad. If you laid a 3x3 over the Hennessy Hex, where the side points come nearest the ground you still have a 2m edge on the Hex. if that was nailed to the ground in bad weather then it's a handy place to store stuff.

A quick Paint sketch but you get the idea ..

Last edited:

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
Bear in mind that the Hennessy Hex is 10 feet wide (3.00) whereas the "width" of the diamond 3x3 is 4.24 as is the ridge. Hennessy ridge is 3.60. So your sketch is misleading. The lower point of the diamond should be much lower. In reality, there is very little significant difference in coverage between the two.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Bear in mind that the Hennessy Hex is 10 feet wide (3.00) whereas the "width" of the diamond 3x3 is 4.24 as is the ridge. Hennessy ridge is 3.60. So your sketch is misleading. The lower point of the diamond should be much lower. In reality, there is very little significant difference in coverage between the two.

Just checked my maths again, you're right. I got the width of the hex wrong in my sketch, it would be more like this ..

:notworthy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE