Size of tarp for hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jethro924

Oct 13, 2013
United Kingdom
Of course it all depends on what you want to do with it as well. I think 3m would be slightly short as even with the curvature of the hammock shortening the length, you would only have 6 inch either end, barely enough to get storm rings under. If you can only afford one then the TW Saragossa link I put up earlier is a good all rounder (IMHO). However a square tarp offers more versatility if you going to use it without a hammock. The hex offers more coverage than a diamond as illustrated above.

I currently own three, all from Tenth Wonder:

TW Ultralight 3.8x1.5m rectangular was bought first and ideal for summer (about 600g with alloy pegs / lash it etc). When the winter was approaching I bought a TW Cornelius 4x3.5m. This is huge with side pullouts and can be setup to have one or both sides blocked off like doors. The only down side is the weight (1.4kg with a full compliment of cord / (14)pegs etc). I then bought a TW Saragossa 3.5x2.25m, somewhere between the two (about 700g with cord / pegs). I find it handy to have the option depending on the conditions. In due time I will make my own in the style of the Sargossa in sil nylon.

Budget wise the TW are well priced (IMHO), I bought all three for less than the price of a cuben fibre jobbie. They are well made but I believe there lighter ones out there, albeit costing more. The Cornelius isn't currently listed (I think they only list what they have in stock) but I am sure they would knock up whatever you want (a 3.2x3.2m would be a better size INHO if you wanted square tarp)

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
@Shewie - so not much in it really. However, the 3x3 is probably available at half the price (see DD 3x3) which suits the inpecunious (although it is heavy at 790 g. I am currently working on a DIY tarp from a patio door insulation sheet of Polycryo which is 2.10x2.75 which will give an asymmetric diamond with ridge length of 3.35. Sufficient as a light backpacking tarp with cover for sleeping,even in heavy rain,but little room for hanging out. (I estimate stake out width each side at 1.85 at widest). But it will weigh less than 300 g which is great for mountain backpacking (which I do). Cost of about USD 10 is attractive too:)

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
I made my own tarp from ripstop nylon. It started at around 2.4m wide 2.8m long, fine for ground dwelling, but nowhere near enough coverage for a hammock - I got a bit wet the last time I was out :(. The advantage of making it myself is that it was easy to add another length to it - and I don't have to be afraid of stitching an expensive pre-bought item :) It is still 2.4m wide but is slightly over 4m long now and I feel the extra length will protect in high winds, if rain is coming straight down then you can get away with a small tarp, but where there is rain there is usaually wind too.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Myself I dont like diamond tarps.. ok in the summer but in the winter give very little protection to things on the ground, they can not be lowered to the ground to stop the airflow under them, if the rain is falling at an angle /getting blown, then anything on the ground will get wet...this leads me to say square or rectangle,

Size wise I have 3x3, 4x4, 4.5 x 3, and 4ish x 2ish (ponco Tarp)..

The 3x3 in my opinon is short for hammocking in the winter/rain unless you use it as a diamond.. but for me the reasons above count it out,

I find the 4.5 x 3 a bit too long you have to pick your trees well.. also if you take the tarp to ground the 3 meter lives you a low ridge, myself I find this a pain as I have to stoop under it...this I also find with the 3x3,

I have used the 4 x 4 quite a lot find it has plenty of room you can comfortably borito the ends in to form doors and have loads of room, the ridge is also at a nice hight for me and does not restict movement under the Tarp.. the amouint of room also give you loads of admin space it weather is a bit fowl, if you have not got a communial shelter....The only thnig I would say is the 4x4 can be a bit of a sail in V high winds... and can billow in.. I have not found this yet, but some have.

The smaller poncho type for me is just for warm sunny times...oh and of course boonie weekends..lol

I like the DD's, and have had no problems with them..they have external ridge line loops..and the tarp hangs under them, with a ridge line that runs under the tarp, but that could lead to rain running down the ridge line, under the tarp and driping inside the tarp on to what evers under it... if your hammocking , in to your sleeping kit...., yes you have hanging posibilitys of things , but just add an extra internal ridge line,

So to me the 4 x4 is the best size for my needs...hope my thougths help

Brilliant, thanks everyone for your opinions, they really do count and I take them all into consideration...I'm going to start with a 4x4 DD I think, just to cover the spring foul weather - when it starts brightening up again I might go for a slightly smaller, lighter & more expensive tarp once I've got my setup right for me :)

To you all: :You_Rock_ it's great to get everyone's opinions on gear!

I'm hoping to start doing gear reviews from a disabled bushcrafter's point of view...honest, unbiased opinions via youtube & possibly a blog :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE