Six days with the Woodland Trust (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
As some of you may know, I am the warden for a Woodland Trust nature reserve. Now, the Woodland Trust do not generally support camping on their land, but on the other hand they do support the public actively using and enjoying their reserves in a responsible way. Having a week off, I came to an agreement with the site manager that I would spend most of a week on site, camping with minimal impact (no open fires) and in the course of the time spent carry out survey work and recording, in line with my role as biodiversity volunteer for the site. I have already built up a level of trust with the manager over the previous 18 months, so the only proviso made was to keep my site low profile so as not to encourage others to camp ad-hoc.

Accordingly, my wife took me the 10 miles to the reserve, and waited whilst I offloaded waaaay too much stuff (such as enough food for a month, and a similar amount of wood already dried and cut to size for my woodburning stove).

Virtually the first thing that happened was that I dropped a water bottle onto the road as I started unloading, and broke it, but that was no disaster. The second was nearly more serious. I slipped going down a hill to where I camped, and hit myself in the leg on an elder tree branch. The result was just a nasty bruise, but a pointed branch would have been much more serious.

I found a flat spot near a stream and close to the resident badger set, and set up.
8707172459_889390d314_b.jpg

There was a very handy old fallen tree that made a perfect kitchen area.
8708293342_08afc5544c_b.jpg

The view from my hammock.
8708291878_50ab27ed2d_b.jpg

Having set up I went for a walk, first checking that my camp was hard to spot.
8707167355_df59aaee2a_b.jpg

When I turned around, I saw this chap. His reaction was to sit down, and I eventually got some decent shots. He didn't seem to be in great condition, but on the other hand there has been illegal fox shooting on this site, and at least this chap was still alive. I had the feeling that this was a good omen for the rest of the trip.
8708287852_55c4932a87_b.jpg
8707164229_edffb18033_b.jpg

The site itself consists of improved grassland that was planted with trees 5-7 years ago and which is now maturing nicely, an ancient arboretum with adjacent orchard and unimproved grassland. I spent a lot of time walking around taking pictures. The following gives some idea of the site.
8708221504_6d64f1448d_b.jpg
8708242090_524b4db20f_b.jpg
8708252274_787d975d09_b.jpg
8707131419_aaaa4343df_b.jpg
8708256108_5bf95394b0_b.jpg
8707135359_0fce29bc30_b.jpg
8708260964_a03b951c83_b.jpg

I took a lot of shots of the wildlife on the site, but I will post those elsewhere. Instead, here are a few more bushy shots:

Aldi tinned cassoulet as my first evening meal. I recommend this if you find it.
8708282576_4a7c37877f_b.jpg

Sausages are compulsory :cool:
8707134339_a1485822cd_b.jpg

So is bacon :D
8707139129_0e3dbb4c96_b.jpg

And you have to carve a spoon. I actually carved 4, and a spatula, but this is the best one and I'm pleased with the tooled finish. The tools are what I used, and the wood is rhododendron. Note the much maligned but perfectly serviceable mora spoon knife with nasty pointy tip deliberately snapped off.
8707145387_1d13636b5d_b.jpg

There were a few nice sunsets too, and I was conscious of the 'sunlight' theme of the BCUK photo competion for May. :) I may enter one of the shots below, but there are other candidates that I want to consider.
8708263686_7615403ce5_b.jpg
8707139757_74f5a37d60_b.jpg
8708244234_b6c050d7fa_b.jpg

Here's one for British Red, since there are 5 beehives in the walled garden in the orchard. I had a long chat with the beekepers when they visited to check the hives.
8707127069_3fdd075f44_b.jpg

One thing I did want to do was clear an oak log that was down across a fence. I have a wetterlings hatchet and a laplander saw so it took a while, but I got it done.
8708285348_f12f047973_b.jpg
8707156113_e9dd573863_b.jpg
8708277856_8eae514232_b.jpg

My site manager visited and checked on me, and was very happy both with my set-up and the cup of earl grey that I made him. We chilled for a bit, and the next day I helped him with a guided walk around the reserve.

By the end of the week I hadn't left the 72 acres of the reserve for six days, and after walking up and down the hills, wading through brambles (the wood that I camped in is hugely overgrown and largely pathless), climbing gates and fences (access between elements of the reserve is limited at the moment as the reserve is still in the development stage), I was completely mellow and utterly exhausted. I took well over 700 photographs, and had a fantastic time. I fell asleep in the sun in the orchard, didn't see a soul for 48 hours, saw my first goshawk, learned the call of a tree pipit, and found trees on the site that I hadn't noticed in the previous 18 months.
8707136631_b514b903fc_b.jpg

The site as I left it.
8707106399_bca29f966f_b.jpg

I learned loads in the process, from wildlife identification, camera use, spoon carving (using green wood makes it so much easier), my camp craft got much better (I was tidier and much better organised), and got a good idea of how much wood that I use on a daily basis. As a bushcrafter, it was just a wonderful trip.
8707141651_e38d316155_b.jpg

All the same, the most beautiful and wonderful thing that I saw in the whole six days was my wife arriving to pick me up at the end. :)

Last edited:

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Great article thanks. I would just love to spend a week living in the woods.

It was really enjoyable, but at the end of the week, a good bath and a change of clothes was very welcome, and I was incredibly tired. On the other hand, I slept fantastically, and woke every morning with a feeling of utter bliss, only spoiled by the need to get out of the hammock for a pee! I had a chorus of birdsong all day, owls and badgers and foxes by night, and the freedom to just wander about with no particular agenda for a whole week. I felt great, but a week was enough.

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
It was really enjoyable, but at the end of the week, a good bath and a change of clothes was very welcome, and I was incredibly tired. On the other hand, I slept fantastically, and woke every morning with a feeling of utter bliss, only spoiled by the need to get out of the hammock for a pee! I had a chorus of birdsong all day, owls and badgers and foxes by night, and the freedom to just wander about with no particular agenda for a whole week. I felt great, but a week was enough.

Would it have been more enjoyable had you shared the week with someone or do you prefer your own company?

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Getting away from people was definitely the motivation. I normally work in a call centre, so a bit of quiet (or at least lack of human noise) is immensely valuable to me.

Sep 8, 2012
west sussex
great pics and write up, I havnt spent that long bushcrafting but ive spent 7 days on my own fishing
in France and know that feeling of utter bliss and contentment very well, I get it after my first 24hr
when everything is sorted and in its place, tho im a bit of a social animal and 7 days is enough.
when I get back to civilisation Im like one of thos old dears that hold up the que in the post office
telling there life story :-/

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great shots - nice to see a shot of the buzzies....want me to get technical and explain that mesh floor? :)

I miss my woods time - nothing really suitable round here:(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Looks absolute bliss :D Total immersion in an area like that is wonderful.

The site looks as though it will mature beautifully too :D

Thank you for the photographs :cool:

M

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Looks like a great time.
I think a week is about long enough to immerse in an area

Anything you didnt take you missed?
Opposite too anything you took but didnt need?

I didn't miss anything, but took far too many things. This was partly because I was base camping pretty much for the first time, so packed on a basis of "I don't have to carry it any distance, so i'll bring it just in case". I didn';t use my waterproofs, but it was good to have them (the weather was immaculate, start to finish), but I took 4 times as much food and wood as I needed, I took bottled water (because we had it in the house) and therefore didn't use my water filter that I packed. I packed too many clothes, and a big wool blanket for warmth that went unused, too many cooking pots, etc. Basically, I over packed. I regrtetted it when I had to drag it all uphill back out of the bramble overgrown woodland when I was tired. Took 4 trips, and I needed to sit down at the end. I carried too much weight around my middle as well. :)

Things that were excellent: my trusty down sleeping bag, my big dutch wool blanket that I used as an under-blanket in the hammock (yes, I packed two wool blankets), the hammock boots my wife made me for Christmas, my new british army wool jumper from Endicotts, and my hammock chair. Oh, and my camera battery and memory card lasted a week of continuous use without any problem at all.

Things I did differently: I made an effort to be more organised in my camp, putting stuff away after use (I'm normally very messy); my spoon carving has obviously improved; I made an effort to wash regularly (the water in the stream may have been still liquid but I swear it was about minus 10 degrees celsius :eek:, laws of physics notwithstanding) and was glad I packed plenty of talc as I suffer with chafing. My firelighting also went really well, and the only firelighting failure that I had was the one time i tried to take a shortcut and get a fire without proper preparation. I did have lots of different woods with me, and found that a few bits of dried birch were excellent for getting the fire from kindling to established, and then I cooked generally with hornbeam, ash or beech, and used oak when I wanted a slower, more prolonged flame. The differences in the woods were quite pronounced, as i use a bushbuddy stove, which is brilliant for my needs, but does need looking after as it can go out quite quickly due to its small size. I also found that using teasel heads in with my kindling was also good for getting the initial flame to last long enough to ignite wood.

Oh, one thing that would have been nice would have been my Alpkit gamma headtorch, as it has a red light which might have meant I actually saw the badgers rather than just hearing them (they live under heavy rhododendron cover so are sheltered all year), but my gamma is both broken and missing.

In short, it wasn't just a great experience as a trip, I learned lots and have better skills now than I did befoire I went.

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
Fantastic write up and the pictures are brilliant!
I'm planning on volunteering with the woodland trust this summer and they said I could be helping out with woodland inspection and that sort of thing so its nice to see what I could be in for!
Great stuff!

paddy

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Fantastic write up and the pictures are brilliant!
I'm planning on volunteering with the woodland trust this summer and they said I could be helping out with woodland inspection and that sort of thing so its nice to see what I could be in for!
Great stuff!

paddy

Great stuff Paddy. I found that the more I put in, the more I got out. As I said at the start they do not normally allow camping on their lands, but I was able to negotiate a particular arrangement with my site manager based on my invertebrate recording knowledge, so I was there as a biodiversity recorder rather than as a bushcrafter. I just happened to be sleeping there and was able to enjoy it as an outdoor experience.

Enjoy your volunteering. Oh, and thanks for the comments about the pictures. :)

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi mike i wondered where you had been great thread loved the pics we will have to have a camera day out soon regards dave

Jul 13, 2009
South Wales
Hi Mike, great thread and as usual fab pictures, funny to bump into you there i thought " i recognise that voice through the crowd!" Really enjoyed the tour, the newly planted areas are coming along nicely and with a lot of work the mature areas will be a great asset to the woodland, a little heated discussion with your manager and the "Lady of the Manor" added to the day, nothing better than a difference in opinions to liven the day up! if your free sometime you will have to come and have a look at the woodland on the college grounds its only over the hill from your woodland.

Atb

Scott

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE