Singer Sewing Machines - which models to look out (for Bushcraft Projects)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Granite Head

Nomad
Aug 16, 2011
Dublin Mountains
I have been reading all of Angst's recent posts on his 201k additions with great interest.

Today I missed out on a hand crank "99" for the sake of £5 at a car boot sale. In reality I didn't know what I was really looking for or the true cost. What I thought would be useful if the more expert "Thread injection engineers" here could post what Singer models we should be looking out for in order of preference (for bushcraft projects), their ability (canvas, leather etc.) and the expected cost dependant on condition.

Model:
Usage:
Price VGC:
Price AVG:

ATB
GH

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
cant answer with any authority but I got a hand crank 1910 singer 66 last weekend, £15 with several bobbins, hemming attachments etc. with the right needles it will easily sew two layers on furniture type leather and four layers of canvas

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Basics....look for a metal body. Regardless if it's black or cream (they did a funny orange/brown one for a little while in the 70's too) If it says Merritt on it, then it's a blooming good more modern Singer in disguise :) and it'll tackle almost all that the old 201 or 99K's will.

If the light is a seperate tube thing at the back of the machine then the electrics must be taken as suspect unless you are buying from a reputable dealer.....factor the replacement costs into your purchase/budget. Rubber perishes, and old wiring is a dangerous thing. If there is any smell of burnt rubber about it, don't plug it in. Stop and really look at it first if you've bought it. They shouldn't smell of burnt rubber, regardless of what the seller tells you.

If you find one that doesn't turn smoothly when you turn the hand wheel, then you're in for a power of work to sort it out. It can be done, but it suggests either that it's rusty inside, or it's absolutely filthy and gummed up with oose, or it's damaged (dropped is the usual flaw...check the bobbin winder, they often break off when the machines are dropped) If you don't know what you're doing, think hard about it at that point.

Anything that they claim is extra is worth checking. It should come with a foot pedal if it's electric, if it doesn't you'll need to factor that into the budget too. Not all gadgets will work with all machines. Basically for those older models if the gadgets don't say Singer, and they don't have a screw on shank, then they won't fit. You can buy a seperate screw on shank that will accept modern press fit feet though, so not all lost; just be aware. It's a quality thing though.

Be aware before you go to buy; carry some thread on a bobbin, and thread up the machine. Even if there's no electricity on the site (car boot for instance) it should still sew smoothly when you turn the hand wheel. If it doesn't, see my first point.

A few chips or scrapes in the enamel is one thing, but totally rusted and chipped? walk on by. If it's that bad outside, then the inside will need a power of work too. More fish in the sea, sort of thing.

201 and 99K's will sew canvas, denim, thin leather, webbing and your missus' silk undies :)
Treadle machines, unless they're blake's machines (leather stitching) are a pain in the neck after a while. There is no stitch length control and like the hand crank it's a bit like patting your head and rubbing your tummy at first. It'll come, but don't expect it to be perfect right off.

66K is a good machine, and it will (with the right needles!) go through multiple layers. The featherweight is a lovely machine, but a bit more domestic.
The first one, depending on how it's been cared for, is well worth £30 or so. It's simply so reliable and easy to use. Needs oiling a fair bit.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/singer-se...Collect_SewingMachines_RL&hash=item2ed27dca99

Featherweight's are in demand, and attract silly amounts of money. Nice machine, but I'd spend my money on sommat else unless I was getting a real beauty at a bargain price.

Loads of advice from others coming your way I suspect :D

atb,
Toddy

Monikieman

Jun 17, 2013
Monikie, Angus
I'm thinking a 201K for about the £50 mark. Look on Gumtree and do a bit research into how to ID a 201K.

Ebay 'nearest' to yourself as postage is a killer and a lot are pickup only.

They turn up for very little sometimes.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
http://oldsingersewingmachineblog.com/

I'll put up a post later on with as much of what I've learned about these machines over the past few years, but in the meantime the above linky is an extremely valuable resource; full of superb and detailed information on all sorts of things to do with old Singers.
It was started and run by "Sid and Elsie", but Elsie became very ill and it's now kept as an archive by one of the many people who were devastated by the prospect of it's loss. I haven't read through it in a long time, but it's full of the best and clearest advice to be had anywhere about these great old pieces of engineering and will answer many of the questions asked here.......................More later :)

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
I use the old hand crank singers with some good results ,,, fitting a stove jack to a lavvu

Had a treadle from Sal not long back not really used it yet .

latest one is a electric Singer 185K for the grand sum of £1.67 off ebay local to me , PAT tested it gave it a service and away it went ..

I found utube a fantastic source of information , servicing , fault finding , history , its all there .

Twodogs

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
hi...good idea this thread....i'll add to it as my adventure progresses....off to the beach in a bit but hopefully i'll sit down with them tonight...

regards,

s

Granite Head

Nomad
Aug 16, 2011
Dublin Mountains
Thanks for the blog link Macaroon, spent the morning reading through it.

Twodogs, I hadn't really appreciated the advantage of a hand crank machine for larger (outdoor) projects - thanks for posting the pics.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
The wife has 3 in the loft of her parents, 1 hand cranked, 1 hand converted to elec and a more modern all elec one, I really must get upu there to see what they are, got too be better than my paff

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
The wife has at least half a dozen by now, most on the purpose-built tables like the one in Cliff's photo, a couple on a simple wooden box which the machine is fixed to by hinges so you can (carefully) lift it to get at the gubbins underneath.

There's a lot of gubbins underneath, and it needs to be in good shape. If it's all rusted to hell pass on, it won't be worth the trouble unless you're doing it for the love of the old machine.

These things aren't exactly rare and it's really a buyer's market. You can pick them up in charity shops, no need to rush into a purchase.

But if you get a good one it will do sterling service and last at least your lifetime.

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
Pictures Granite pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and feel free to annoy Macaroon with any daft questions you have about it....also Turbo and Toddy lolol!

yes Ged, theyre not 'rare', but certainly precious....for every one i see on ebay in good nick i see ten that are not....and therefore of less interest to beginners who dont want trouble....like myself for instance....i only took the plunge because after talking to Sir Bilmo he put me onto Mac and Turbo also, but i didnt want to nag them so i posted up a thread instead....sure enough Sir Mac jumped on it straight away and it was only because of him that i went with it....

so, once again, its credit to this forum and the people on it and their knowlege and willingness to help and share....its been a support group constantly for me since the day i joined and has been instrumental in helping my career....thanks again! soppy stuff over.....

GO FORTH AND BUY 201'S!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and if anyones worried about me bidding against them on ebay please drop me a line with item number so we dont end up costing each other loads of money!:cool: there are a couple i've got my eye on at the moment!

regards

s

I am picking up a brown version at the weekend :)

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
I put a wanted ad on our local Freecycle site and got a Singer 99, took a chance as it was free, and could probably have sold any good parts on the bay of e if it wasn't usable, all it needed was a good clean, lube and a replacement rubber wheel for the bobbin winder, parts are available new or used and there is a wealth of info online.......there's something very relaxing about the sound of a hand cranked machine. Our electric is a Toyota, old and nice, but the Singer, It reeks of quality unlike our spare Lidl special, it does the job, (especially when I broke her Toyota!!) but I can't imagine it becoming a design classic......theres loads of old Singers around, choose carefully and I don't think you will be disappointed...

Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE