Walking foot sewing machine

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BushBob

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2013
East Mids
Afternoon All,

I've been doing a few leather work projects and am enjoying it. My hand stitching is coming on, but I'd like to speed things up with a machine. I'm looking for one that will do veg tan leather, tanned leather, canvas, webbing etc. I'd like one that's good for up to two layers of 3mm veg tan.

I've been told that a walking foot model is the way to go. I've had a look at a few online stores and on ebay. The top brands (Adler etc.) are well out of my price range. I've seem one or two other machines (Seiko and Singer 7-27, 211 and 111) at around the 500 quid mark which I could perhaps stretch to if I shift a few of my other machines.

I'd be grateful for some advice on this - am I kidding myself to think that a machine of the type / cost I've seen is going to be any good? Any experience or information would be very gratefully received.

Cheers,

Bob

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use a Toyota Super Jeans sewing machine - just over £100 brand new - with a previously bought "optional extra" accessory Walking Foot that fits all of my sewing machines. It happily sews a couple or three layers of 2mm veg tan but I am not sure if it would like to do 3mm.....

BushBob

Tenderfoot
Nov 24, 2013
East Mids
Thanks for these replies.

I have four Singer 201s, three of which are direct drive, "potted motor", models. None of them is heavy duty enough for the thickness of leather and other stuff I'm hoping to sew.

I'll keep doing the research.

Cheers,

Bob

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Try and find yourself a Singer 29k.

They're designed for cobblers and saddle makers and will do everything you want and more. There's plenty on Ebay

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE