Simplest coffee filter for camping?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
If you let your moose tash grow long enough you can just use that to filter out the grounds, that way you can save the grounds for a second brew later on, survivy coffee!!!!!!!!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
M.S.R. Do a little brass micro mesh and plastic filter that sits in the cup and is easy to rinse. Of all the coffee/tea making things it's the easiest to use and clean.
Though if you forget a filter just make your cowboy coffee, and either when it's in the cup or still in the pot flick cold water at the surface from your fingers say and it causes the grounds to sink to the bottom of the container. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
I can't tolerate instant coffee... I've not actually tried it but have read ladies tights or stockings can be used teabag style, supposedly clean & preferably supplied by a lady with whom you have an acquaintance or at least with her consent, also a similar idea regular coffee filters made in to tea bags on field tied with dental floss.
Personally I use a wee little Bialetti (3 espresso cup, it holds 160ml) in conjunction with trangia triangle sitting on a computer fan finger guard. For packing with the trangia burner lid off & inverted it fits neatly inside the coffee pot. some might consider this combo heavy but IMHO I think it worth it's weight in coffee (total weight 607g coffee pot on its own weighs in at 404g)

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sorted :D

http://nbtea.co.uk/store/accessories/172-tea-infuser.html

tea-infuser.jpg

Just don't mix up the one for coffee with the one for tea.
Coffee is kind of 'oily' while tea is tanniny; it still works but I'm fussy.

M

Last edited:

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I use one of these beasties http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zyliss-Cafe...2852&sr=8-2&keywords=zyliss+cafetiere+hot+mug Easy to use, easy to clean and keeps your coffee hot too, just take along your favourite coffee and your sorted :)

Did try the Lyons coffee bags as they would be easier still, but needed to use three of them to a mug to get anything like a vague coffee flavour and caffeine hit :( Would have been good if filled with better coffee and more of it !

Cheers, Paul

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I really rate my smartcafe mug, just like the zyliss mug Paulm posted. I have one at home/camping and one at work.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
That Ortlieb option looks a nice idea. I usually take one of those black plastic filter paper holders, but they really are bulky. I found a collapsible silicon rubber filter paper holder a few years ago that folds flat, then pulls out concertina style into a cone- which is a nice idea, but in reality the silicon was too soft, and it would regularly collapse in use with catastrophic results.

At work i use one of the smartcafe mugs mentiioned above - fantastic, but when outdoors i like to use a higher capacity issue stainless steel mug.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
Beware of those collapsible funnels, I severely burned my hand when one collapsed and poured near boiling liquid over me and it was worse because the coffee and filter paper wrapped itself around my hand.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Swiss Gold filter Sam. Plastic with a gold plated filter. Infinitely reusable. Cheap and effective.

May 12, 2014
West Yorkshire
I've had one of thesehttp://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/gsi-outdoors-commuter-java-press-p263322 for a couple of months now, bought it originally so i could take a proper brew with me on the drive to work, unfortunately it doesn't fit into the cup holder, anyway it is a good bit of kit and makes a good brew without letting any of the coffee through the filter, and it keeps it nice and hot for a decent period of time especially when outside, and it cleans out very easily.

Monspoonmaker

Mar 15, 2014
Silures
Have a look at the GSI H2Jo filter that is used alongside a nalgene type bottle. I find it works best by making the coffee in the bottle before fitting the filter. Had mine over two years and still working like new.

If you shop around you should be able to find it for around £16.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE