Simple survival snowshoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Just finished a pair of simple snowshoes. They are too small to be used in deep snow, but will be just fine in the compact snow usually found in coastal areas such as here. Now I am just waiting for the snow to return. The snowshoes are of course made with stone tools only. :)

snowshoes.JPG

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Stuart said:
have you tried making Roycroft snowshoes?

roycroft.jpg

Those I've wanted to try, never knew they were called Roycroft, the versions I've studied were called the Canadian Survival Snowshoe, due to them being the Canadian Armed Forces Survival Guide. Inspired me to try em this winter. :You_Rock_

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Just a tip I read in a book. Havent tried it yet. You know how hard it is to sneak up on wildlife in noisy spring snow. If you bind a piece of matrass foam (or whatever it is called) under the snowshoe it will dampen the sound of the shoe to almost silence.

I am thinking that it must be possible to use fur-on moose hide instead.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
OzaawaaMigiziNini said:
Those I've wanted to try, never knew they were called Roycroft, the versions I've studied were called the Canadian Survival Snowshoe, due to them being the Canadian Armed Forces Survival Guide. Inspired me to try em this winter. :You_Rock_

That would be because Tom Roycroft who came up with the design, was the survival instructor for the Canadian armed forces.

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Stuart

Are these worn / used like cross country ski's or like a more conventional snow shoe and tied across the front of the foot and having a trailing edge.

Pierre
Tried canvas on a frame and got a build up of snow on top, would try again using a rectangular pattern and not attaching the sides fully, just around the foot area. Have seen commercial shoes of this pattern and was told that they work equally well on soft slushy UK snow.

Best regards, Pothunter.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
pothunter said:
Hi Stuart

Pierre
Tried canvas on a frame and got a build up of snow on top, would try again using a rectangular pattern and not attaching the sides fully, just around the foot area. Have seen commercial shoes of this pattern and was told that they work equally well on soft slushy UK snow.

Best regards, Pothunter.

Yes, this is a problem. They are a stopgap measure - something you use if you don't have regular snowshoes. Even regular webbed snowshoes can have this problem. You learn to give a little "kick" with each step to dump the snow.

Noise: Some Ojibwe snowshoes have yarn "tufts" fastened to the side of the frames. This helps with noise suppression.

PG

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Lots of light powdery snow here and it is knee deep in places - looks like time to give some sort of snow shoe a try. I'll keep my eye out for some downed willow (following the high winds) for the hoop as there is a lot of it around here.
Hopefully I'll show you the progress this week as I'm almost on holiday :)

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
sam_acw said:
Lots of light powdery snow here and it is knee deep in places - looks like time to give some sort of snow shoe a try. I'll keep my eye out for some downed willow (following the high winds) for the hoop as there is a lot of it around here.
Hopefully I'll show you the progress this week as I'm almost on holiday :)

Nice, I also made a roycroft style pair yesterday. Pictures in the blog. If the snow is deep, I would recommend them. Good luck. :)

PS! Mine were not totally like the ones above, but theirs look better than mine, so I would go for that design.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE