Simple, small, AA powered heatorch.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dan Wound

Tenderfoot
Jun 6, 2006
Bristol
Am off to work in malaysia next year on a small island for 6 months, now I currently run a Petzl Mayo XP (which is a cracking piece of kit). However I like reading in bed and the battery pack isn't condusive to comfortable reading, plus it's overkill.

So I'm looking for a teeny one that doesn't have to be super powerful to cover this requirement.

I say AA as they're generally easier to get in far flung corners.

So any ideas at all ??

Many thanks.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I use a Fenix HL21 - battery is front mounted not rear - very comfortable when lying down

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Been using the Zebralight H502d for a few months now and it's a fantastic light for closer work.

P1040472.jpg

P1040477.jpg

It's a tiny light, runs on AA batteries and on the low/medium setting i'm seeing around 8 to 10 hours out of 1 battery
A few pics for size comparison.

IMG_1530.jpg

I was THAT impressed i bought to H502 with the standard tint as well.

IMG_1641.jpg

IMG_1649.jpg

I find the H502d version gives a slightly better tint for reading both books and my kindle difficult to explain, but the tint tends to make the writing pop out a little better, making it slightly easier to read, so that's the one i use most.

The torch is also very lightweight, so you really do not notice it on your head.

With battery and strap
IMG_1744.jpg

With battery
IMG_1747.jpg

Without battery
IMG_1748.jpg

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Just purchased a Fenix HL20 from a trader on BB, great little head light and very lightweight, runs of 1 X AA and stated lumen output on low setting is 4 lumens, that should be OK for reading purposes but haven't actually tested it, will run for ever on low setting off 1 battery.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Great post Mark, if a little expensive, for me anyway. My H502 should be arriving soon. (I must stop browsing these threads)

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thanks and sorry :naughty:

Reading through my post some bits don't make much sense, so i'll edit in the morrow in case anyone comes across it in the future.

Bit late for you mate, but i have read a few reports of some H502's not being 100% waterproof.
Seems that some slipped through QA with a poor seal around the lens, as a result if the torch is submerged for a length of time some have been seen to leak.

I've not submerged either of mine to test them as i don't really care if they are waterproof, i have had the H502 out in a rain storm best described as biblical in proportions and it was fine.

I still prefer my SC600 and H600 for night hiking as i find the 120° beam spread on the H502's (80° on both the SC600 and H600) a little wide for outdoor use.

For round the camp fire, night reading and everything else though i find the H502's absolutely fantastic.
For closer work like reading the H502's are the best torches i currently own.

Cheers
Mark

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Petzl Tikka XP - takes 3 front loaded AAA's, lightweight, water-resistant and gives off a good beam of light (plus has a diffuser for up close work). I know its not AA, but AAA are pretty universal as well aren't they?

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
I was going to suggest Zebralight. I treated myself last Christmas and although I haven't used it much, I've been very impressed.

Wow Mark, you're giving me ZL envy. I need more to add to my collection now.

Claudiasboris

millie-mail

Forager
Apr 9, 2011
Oxfordshire
Hi Dave,

Thanks and sorry :naughty:

Reading through my post some bits don't make much sense, so i'll edit in the morrow in case anyone comes across it in the future.

Bit late for you mate, but i have read a few reports of some H502's not being 100% waterproof.
Seems that some slipped through QA with a poor seal around the lens, as a result if the torch is submerged for a length of time some have been seen to leak.

I've not submerged either of mine to test them as i don't really care if they are waterproof, i have had the H502 out in a rain storm best described as biblical in proportions and it was fine.

I still prefer my SC600 and H600 for night hiking as i find the 120° beam spread on the H502's (80° on both the SC600 and H600) a little wide for outdoor use.

For round the camp fire, night reading and everything else though i find the H502's absolutely fantastic.
For closer work like reading the H502's are the best torches i currently own.

Cheers
Mark

Hi Mark, been playing with the H502 over the weekend and decided on pairing it with the H600. I did a bit of research and read about the sealing problem with some 502's before I purchased. The 502 will be used at work and play, whereas the H600 (when it arrives) will be for play only!
Time will tell with the 502, it should get a proper hammering at work so a decent long term test is a possibility.
Thanks for your input again, very helpful.

Dave.

millie-mail

Forager
Apr 9, 2011
Oxfordshire
No problem Dave, glad i could help.

Do you have both lights on your noggin?
If so how are you mounting them please?

Cheers
Mark

I don't even have both lights yet, still waiting the arrival of the H600.
Ah! When I said pairing, I meant as in, they will both belong to me. I hadnt even thought about running them at the same time!
I have just seen your post in another headtorch thread so I am assuming you remove the H502 mount and fit it to the aftermarket headband?
That would be a fair lump of metal bouncing around on your forehead.
Answers on a postcard....

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Do you mean this pic mate?

IMG_0368.jpg

If so, that's the SC600 mounted into a Ortec Head band it's pretty stable as the torch sits to one side so there's less of a nodding motion.

The headband is also a noggin thicker and has slightly more elastic strength than the ZL ones, so it tends to be very stable, certainly stable enough for my little runs at night.

Quality is pretty poor though, if you look at the top left of the pic the headband has what looks like a press stud, this is actually a rivet type fastening and on mine the fabric stretched slightly and popped over the stud causing the light to fall off.

A quick blast from the Mrs on her sewing machine though and it's been fine since, she also did all the other joints as i'm not going to be adjusting it.

millie-mail

Forager
Apr 9, 2011
Oxfordshire
Thats the one, yes. Thanks for the link. Do you mount two lamps on the one headband, or do you have another method? I'm quite intrigued now, as you asked me the same question earlier in the thread. I have an led lenser P7 mounted on a lockblock which I transfer between my bikes, for the occasional night foray. The problem is, it wont stay zoomed any more so you have to tape it in position. Which is just carp to be honest.:(

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Tried a few ways over the years, i found if i mount both lights to 1 headband it tends to be heavier than the elastic can cope, so your forever pulling it up from over your eyes.

It's very very rare i wear 2 lights on my head.
The H600 and SC600 are THAT close in beam and light output i find that there is no real gain in using both at the same time.
The SC600 only throws slightly more than the H600 and the H600 only floods very very slightly more than the SC600 so you don't really get much of a gain in anything using both together.

The H600 is usually in my dog walking bag, so that's the one i use most the time.

The SC600 is in my bumbag.
This bag is usually with me when i'm out the house as it holds my phone, keys, wallet and a very very basic FAK.
I guess the yanks would call the SC600 my EDC light.

Sometimes i'll swap the lights around though.

I do prefer the SC600 beam slightly over the H600, the H600 is more useful being on the front of your head though i find.

If i know i'm going to be on a rough track or a path i don't know well then i'll take a second torch with me that i'll hold in my hand.
Mostly this is my Fenix TK35 as it's a fantastic beam and a great thrower and works very well with both the H600 and SC600.

The TM11 is a little heavier than the TK35 and a LOT brighter, but i do prefer the TK35 beam.

The TK70 is a monumentally great torch.
It's mega bright and the beam is the best i've yet come across, enough flood to be really useful and enough throw to downhill on a MTB comfortably at 50mph at night.

It's just a bit to big and heavy to carry for any length of time :(

So it's probably 80% of the time only the H600 or SC600
20% of the time either the SC600 or H600 and then supplemented by a hand held torch.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE