Simple hot smoking question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CAL

Forager
May 16, 2008
Barnsley (in Gods Own County)
I'd like to try my hand at hot smoking and have been doing a little research on here. So far, I've one simple question.

I'm going to use my gas BBQ as the heat source and thought about placing a baking tray on the grill to hold the wooden chips. Should I put my fish (thought I would start with makerel) on the same level as the tray of chips or does the fish have to go above the chips?

Looking at my BBQ its not really practical to get the chips between the burner and main grill.

Thanks,

CAL.

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
As long as the bbq is sealed enough to keep the smoke in it won't matter where the fish goes. The best plan is to put the fish where it will cook best and the chips where they will get enough heat to smoulder so it usually works best with the fish above chips/shavings.

and of course make sure the juice from the fish doesn't end up soaking the chips. Try crumbling up some dry bay leaves into the wood chips if you're doing mackeral.

Have a play around to find out what produces the best smoke. Sometimes it works well to make an open parcel from tin foil and put the chips in that. It doesn't need to take up an entire grill then.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE