Simple Dog tent needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stiks

Mar 21, 2006
N. Wales
Hi,

Not been here for a while but getting back into things again.

I love to get out in the woods and always go with my faithfull pooch. I generally go hammocking and a i made a small ridge tent for Toby but it's not really much good tbh.

Does anyone know to a good lightweight dog tent that packs down small, or anyone who can make one?

Something out of silnylon maybe. All I need is a simple ridge design with a silnylon floor sewn in, possibly 2 elastic straps to hold his mat in place. I would not need poles just loops in the right places so i can tension with cord to sticks or trees.

Basically something I can just scrunch into a small stuff sack.

Anyone fancy having a go ..... Obviously I'm willing to pay whatever it costs :)

I'd have a crack at it myself but I ain't too good with a sewing machine and don't possess one.

Stiks

Mar 21, 2006
N. Wales
I've used innerwolf when buying my dogs 'floatcoats' for the canoe and are good to deal with (no connection) They have a camping with dogs section. http://www.innerwolf.co.uk/camping.html?gclid=CPWhx4aWuqcCFQoY4QodRCFVAg&p=1

My dogs don't use a tent, they are collies and fairly hardy. When needed I use a US army poncho liner for the dogs to sleep on. It doesn't collect hairs, dries quickly and is machine washable.

Thank you for the link. I've seen those before but might give them a call to see they know of anything closer to what I'm after.

My dog is a collie also, he's a bit of a freak of nature, very big for a collie.
Unfortunately he has PRA (Progressive retinal atrophy) and is losing his sight slowly, he's only 4 1/2. It's obviously the reason he was in the rescue centre where I got him.
He does not run about anywhere near as much as he would if unhindered by this. Consequently he's not as fit and hardy as a collie would be normally.
For that reason I like to keep him undercover and out of the worst of the weather.
He loves to be out with me inspite of his afliction, in fact he follows known trails better than me at night! His sense of smell and hearing are fantastic, he still trys to run after Deer, I have to stop him now because last time he run straight into a tree!
He's still very keen :)

If he was fit I would not be concerned. When I first had him at about 18 months old he was out with me in minus conditions and was fine with good ground insulation.

I'm sure I can get hold of some silnylon, just need someone to make it up for me if I can't find a lightweight tent with small pack size ready made.
My old arthritic joints mean I have keep weight to an absolute minimum now.

treefrog

Aug 4, 2008
South Yorkshire
Mine took a bit of a fancy to my mates hooped bivi, you could try him with one of those

DSCN1101.jpg

Stiks

Mar 21, 2006
N. Wales
Mine took a bit of a fancy to my mates hooped bivi, you could try him with one of those

That's a good idea thank you, never thought about that. I could even shorten one to save weight. :)
Only problem he's quite tall being the freak he is! Not sure if he'd take to it, certainly worth thinking about though, cheers!

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
What about one of those fishing shelters from Aldi for £15 or something? Not as small as you say, but you could both get in there to face the fire before climbing into the hammock.

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
What about a 2 poncho shelter- Italian army are cheap and lightweight and clip together well and pack small, or for a bit more weight how about a Gelert Solo tent for him? You can get them for £20- £25?

My collie lost her sight so I know what you mean about them wanting to be out and about, but keeping them out of the way of hazards can be challenging. She got a lot more confidence/reassurance when I put her on an extending lead.
regards

MK123

Nov 1, 2009
South Wales
Im not sure if it fits your requirements..... but I got something similar to this
http://uk.ebid.net/for-sale/dog-cra...arge-27-5in-blue-29668202.htm?from=googlebase

Would be fine under your tarp, keep the his body heat around him and keep him contained.
The one I have kind of twists flat (its sort of pop up tent style) only trouble is its too wide to fit in a rucksak so not sure how practical it would be to carry (I have yet to use mine). Could maye lash it to the rucksak.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I take my dog with me too, but I have a tent, which keeps the wind a rain off, the nocturnal wildlife safe & us together........could you not buy a cheap tent for you both & keep the door open ?...............

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Can't help on the tent as when ever i took my dogs they'd be in the tent with (surprising how much warmer it is, also make great feet warmers).

In really bad conditions though i did notice him shivering at night.
As me exMrs was a dab hand at sewing i dug out an old summer weight sleeping bag, cut it in 1/3rds and she sewed it up.

The Mutt used to love it.

So my advice is to buy a slightly bigger tent, just keep the door open a noggin for when it farts at night and your sorted.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE