Simple chanterelles

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Hello

I was out today and managed to have the good luck of coming across some chanterelles.
So I thought I would share my dinner with you that I have just had :)

First get yer ingredients together

P1010890.jpg

Next chop up the mushrooms and some garlic (I like lots of garlic).

P1010891.jpg

Fry the garlic and mushrooms in some olive oil and butter( if your mushrooms are a bit soggy then all you need to do is cook em for a bit longer untill the extra moisture is cooked out, wet mushrooms are still good:).

P1010892.jpg

When you are almost done frying add a pinch of salt

P1010894.jpg

Now you are almost ready, so just sling in a couple of spoonfuls of cream and let it cook in for 1 or 2 mins depending on how much cream you put in

P1010895.jpg

Now just serve up. I have mine with some fresh baguette, local dry cured venison sausage and a bit of salad. The cheese on the side is a local mountain cheese which I like to grate a small amount of the rind all over the plate. It tastes better than parmesan.( don't chuck out your old cheese rinds:)

P1010896.jpg

And there you have it fast shrooms

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
What sort of habitat do these usually like to grow in?

Mine came from, the bank of a river in mixed woodland. But in the past I have found them in all sorts of places both coniferous and broadleaf woods. The best indicator of having the right mushroom is the smell

Last edited:

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
Mine came from, the bank of a river in mixed woodland. But in the past I have found them in all sorts of places both coniferous and broadleaf woods. The best indicator of having the right mushroom is the smell

Is it unique to chanterelle or does it smell like anything else I might know of? :) ...or should I simply buy one first and take in the smell before I go hunting! :)

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
The smell is a kind of fruit like smell, before I ever went out and picked any mushroom by myself I went out with someone who all ready knew what they were doing, that is the best in my opinon.

Here is a couple of photos of my best ever chanterelle find it was a couple of years ago in the lake district in september

Attachments

• Picture 050.jpg
    Picture 050.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Picture 053.jpg
    Picture 053.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 22
  • Picture 057.jpg
    Picture 057.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Picture 064.jpg
    Picture 064.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 18

welshwhit

Settler
Oct 12, 2005
Mid-Wales
Looks very tasty!

I'd love to get better at fungi ID, need to find a friendly person to reassure my ID's!

Nice knife by the way! Do you mind if I ask what it is?

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
I've done quite a bit of mushrooming in my time but we clearly don't get these in my neck of the woods or I would definately have identified them looking at the shape and colour.

...by the way that was one heck of find in the lake district by the look of those pics!!!!

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
Your photos of the lake district have made me want to spend the next few hours in the car ;)

I had been up there camping for a week and looking for mushrooms with only limited success compared to previous trips, then on the last day I looked over the fence not far from where I had the tent pitched and saw that lot. Typical :)

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
I had been up there camping for a week and looking for mushrooms with only limited success compared to previous trips, then on the last day I looked over the fence not far from where I had the tent pitched and saw that lot. Typical :)

Were were in the New Forest a few months back, and I found some whilst there, and the biggest find was only a few minutes from the main car park. Its quite often the way isn't it :)

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Jealous! I never find chanterelle around here but it won't be long until hedgehog fungus is out which are just as nice in my opinion. I can't wait as your post has made me hungry! that's pretty much exactly how I cook mine as well, usually served on a baguette or fresh bread nicely toasted with a bit of cheese...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE