simple carved toggle or ring

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Okay, its not much. Not from a technical carving point of view but its nice to reproduce symmetry in minature with just a Clipper and some sandpaper. This is a ring made out of Dog Rose (Dag or Dagger Rose) and I made it for my wife. I thought I was being dead romantic giving her a 'sleeping beauty' ring. :eek:

The same principle can be used to make a toggle for a scarf. I know this is something that everyone can do and I recommend for beginners. I am sure that some members have some quite elaborately carved ones.

DaggerRoseRing2.jpg

DaggerRoseRing3.jpg

IMGP5903.jpg

IMGP5906.jpg

IMGP5907.jpg

IMGP5908.jpg

IMGP5909.jpg

IMGP5910.jpg

IMGP5911.jpg

Last edited:

Thijzzz

Nomad
Jan 8, 2007
The Netherlands
With just a Clipper and some sandpaper? That's a proof of good craftmanship. nicely done. I could only get that hollowed out with a drill.

Dito SOAR: the grain of the wood is lovely. Does Dog Rose always have that grain?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's beautiful :approve:

Rose is strong and flexible, basket makers often use it for handles. I don't think I've ever seen a ring from it before though :cool:

cheers,
Toddy

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Saved to file, thanks.

VERY nice work indeed. I'd have probably used a drill to make the hole, but then I'm a little impatient when it comes to things like that.

Isn't there a risk of it splitting as it dries though?

Hope the wife liked it. Yes dead romantic ya big softy, but your secret's safe here. :D

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Saved to file, thanks.

VERY nice work indeed. I'd have probably used a drill to make the hole, but then I'm a little impatient when it comes to things like that.

Isn't there a risk of it splitting as it dries though?

Hope the wife liked it. Yes dead romantic ya big softy, but your secret's safe here. :D

The rose stem was seasoned/dead so I have no idea about how it might split when green. Looking at the radial nature of the grain pattern I would say that was a definite possiblility. But give it a go. The ring only took 20 mins to make so its not alot of time lost trying. As far as drilling: I think you'll be surprised what a sharp pointy knife will do. The rose has a pith which makes it easy to start/centre the hole and it took only about 5 minutes to make the hole. Its really quite an easy wood to work even when seasoned.

I could have used a drill...but I did not have a spare socket near the campfire ;)

Yeh...the wife liked it...but somewhat mitigated by the fact that it was a rather late Valentine :eek:

I can predict that lots of partners/wives of members will be getting romantic gestures in the next few days :D

I am going to make a scarf toggle now....but unsure if that would just make me look like a big boy scout. I guess I could always lose the shorts ;)

Last edited:

Biker

I could have used a drill...but I did not have a spare socket near the campfire ;)

Ahaaaaaa. Good point. :eek:

But I have to wonder if what you're actually saying is that you presented your missus with this lovely ring as a token of your esteem and hoped she wouldn't notice you'd come home from the woods two days later than you said you would. ;) I think it's referred to as a flanking manoeuvre

I geddit now about the wood being seasoned, sorry I thought it was greenwood. Anyway it's a thing of beauty, that's for sure.

Gotta ask, was that the first attempt?

A word of advice: If you lose the shorts have a replacement pair in your pack. :lmao:

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon

Ahaaaaaa. Good point. :eek:

But I have to wonder if what you're actually saying is that you presented your missus with this lovely ring as a token of your esteem and hoped she wouldn't notice you'd come home from the woods two days later than you said you would. ;) I think it's referred to as a flanking manoeuvre

I geddit now about the wood being seasoned, sorry I thought it was greenwood. Anyway it's a thing of beauty, that's for sure.

Gotta ask, was that the first attempt?

A word of advice: If you lose the shorts have a replacement pair in your pack. :lmao:

LOL :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Yes it was a first attempt. But its real easy. Not like a marriage ;)

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
very nice indeed! more uses for dog rose eh? do love the grain, have to give that a go with my new whittlin' knife ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE