Silky saws

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Orderd a silky saw from chainsdirect( no connection)yesterday, & it arrived today. Got the 330 zubat, its for work, but will have to try it on bushy stuff, & if its as good as i've heard, i'll replace my worn out laplander with a folding version.

Rob

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've got a pocket boy Rob - definitely beats the Laplander (but both are pretty good saws). If I'd known you were interested I'd have brought it over when I came.

(BTW I bolted that cabinet in today - getting the chuffing thing up a narrow cottage staircase with a turn in it was....interesting :))

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Lol !, Hugh, when i had it made, i moved it on my own in the house we then lived in, & yep those staircases that turn half way up are a challenge !, glad you managed it, its a great cabinet & a very useful design,

All the best,

Rob

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its near perfect - someone should (Brattonsound?) Should adopt the design. Trying to find a shelved ammunition cabinet is like trying to find rocking horse poo!

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I got a Pocket Boy and love it so nice to use, and it feels a real bit of kit and well built unlike some of the others :)

Jul 25, 2013
UK & Kenya
As someone who owns neither but is considering getting a folding saw for cutting fallen branches for firewood etc.... Could you explain what makes the Silky better than the Bahco Laplander? And which model you'd recommend for this purpose? Thanks...

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They are both fine saws and you won't go far wrong with either. I would go with a "Pocket Boy" by Silky as a general purpose folding saw. The silky range are often used by professional arborists as pruning saws - they are thin blades on the pocket boy (and hence you can bend them if you get one to bind). Needing a narrower kerf (amount of wood removed) means they can cut faster for the same effort. They are a lot more expensive than a Laplander though for a marginal improvement in speed.

Davidn

Forager
Jan 19, 2009
Sussex
I use a Silky for work as a tree surgeon, great saws but wear out, or blunt fairly quickly, I bought a pocketboy and the first time I used it it jammed and the blade bent. never used a Laplander but tempted to give one a go for this reason. Basically, Silky good sharp saws but don't last long with constant use.
David.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE