Silky genki-temagari saw

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I picked this saw up today from a little agricultural supplier in Mirfield.

What a saw. I originally saw the 500mm version, but it was far too obscene and at £189 :eek: far too dear. I went for the next one down, the 390mm (still obscene) but hopefully it'll fit between my Bergen and side pouch.:confused: hopefully :confused:
Only problem is that this saw doesn't come with a sheath, so it'll have to stay in its plastic sleeve until I can come up with something.

I had a quick play with a fresh 5 inch diameter sycamore log in the shed, and it cuts well. Really well. I compared it to a curved wolfgarten saw, my large fiskars extracta saw and the Laplander.

It cut far better than any of them, and went through effortlessly. Really impressed. Not really surprising because it has only 5-6.5 teeth per 30mm. A very course blade. At some point I'll try and video it in action :eek:

Here are some pictures, cheers.

e4a2ude2.jpg

a7uba3yd.jpg

a9abyjum.jpg

aha3uqyr.jpg

tana3use.jpg

touched by nature

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
They are fantastic.

I have a pocket boy and it cuts like we expect Japanese cutty things to cut.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I bought a Silky Masaru 360mm saw last year for working in my woodland rather than buy a small chain saw, it was just under £70 and came with a hard plastic sheath. Like yours it does fly through quite thick logs, which is just what I wanted. I need to take care with it to stop the blade from flexing too much, but it should last ages. I bought it from these people (no affiliation etc, etc): http://www.abbeygardensales.co.uk/hand-tools/silky-pruning-saws/showitem-S3-127-33.aspx

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
nice. looks a real beast and like it would happily deal with most jobs.
maybe a nice canvas case?

I think it'll eat canvas. Just running your fingers down the blade to knock out sawdust is something you only do once.

Kydex would be a good option. And some means of hanging it on a belt. One reason I prefer my Zubat to the Big Boy is it hangs on my belt. Once you've got a big armful of wood it's not always easy to carry a saw too.

Is that handle adjustable? I find the curve of the Zubat a bit annoying for log cutting as it dips into the ground.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Was going to suggest a spine bar for an insert in a canvas holder, but finding one 390mm long might be a challenge.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
A blast from the past....

Have you still got the silky saw ? just wondering if you are still happy with it. I have a couple of silky's & have been considering one of these for working at height.

Rob

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
You can't go wrong with a Silky; ever!
Have had a few and have considered having a old blade resharpened. Even though you can't officially, you can get one maybe two honing out of them.
The expense soon wears off within one or two cuts.

Enjoy your first scar from a Silky!!!!

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

Orchard

Forager
Dec 17, 2013
Abergavenny
Just double-check whether you can still get spare genki blades if that's a factor, I was under the impression they'd stopped this model.
Wouldn't you rather have a curved blade for bite at height?
Hth

A blast from the past....

Have you still got the silky saw ? just wondering if you are still happy with it. I have a couple of silky's & have been considering one of these for working at height.

Rob

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I dont know what the model was, but a couple of guys had the folding silky which was about three feet long in ontario, they just flew through full sized fallen trees. very impressive.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I shuddered when I "saw" that blade, still have a scar on my index knuckle from a similar silky. Evil bitey things but crikey do they fly through wood. Still talking my self into one as I type this.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I have an Ibuki blade that I handled myself - curved so pulls itself into the cut, narrow at the front so it can get inbetween branches, my own handle so it worked out cheaper!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE