silk purse from a sows ear!

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I reckon (though I'm no Expert) you could do a bit of shaping with a slow grinder and a bit of patience and make a decent stub tang blade out of that. Is that a folder? I think I've got the same one kicking about somewhere.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
No it's a fixed blade Robby, and I don't have any machinery for this kind of work I'm sorry to say. I could I suppose just remove the existing handle and chop it with the grinder and hammer the tang into a bit of wood with a pile of araldite but I'm sure that would just waste a blade, however having said that it can't be used for much as it is.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
http://www.britishblades.com/home/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=23

http://www.britishblades.com/home/articles.php?action=show&showarticle=27

The second link would probably be the best one. though I reckon the pre-drilled hole could be used for a pin to re-inforce the join.

Again no expert but dabbler. Why not give it a try. what are you going to lose. and it would be a good stepping stone to go onto bigger and better things....because you will want to make more. I'm onto my fourth with plans for my 5th 6th anf 7th already sorted.

Diligence

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
Calgary, Canada
Do you have access to a small belt sander, the portable ones with the 4" wide belts?

If you do, mount it so the belt runs vertical, but towards the ground. Grind and dip into water often. Use a 100 grit belt and go slowly. You will transform it before your eyes. If the blade is too hot to hold with your bare fingers, you have made it too hot - dip often.

If you cool it with water often, you will not damage the hardness.

Alternatively, you could use a Dremel type tool with lots of cut-off discs. Eventually you will get it to the shape you want. Just had a thought, using a dremel with a cut-off wheel, score the shape you want and you may be able to bend/break off the bits you don't want. Then touch it up with the dremel.

Please be sure to wear safety glasses.

Oh - did I mention to dip it often....grin.

Cheers,
D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE