silk purse from a sows ear!

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
recently i was offered a couple of nasty knies cheap , normally i would have passed on it but i had a project in mind , and a nice bit of red deer antler.
this is the original knife:

DSC01481-2.jpg

the handle made it unusable realy ,it was rar to small to be used comfortably,soi ground the handle down to a stick tang and changed the blade into a scandi style blade.
Here it is finished capped with some antique north american buffalo horn.

DSC01509.jpg

DSC01511.jpg

i hope this inspires someone to turn one of their pigs ears into a silk purse!

thanks for looking.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The first one is just awful, and the one you made from it is like night and day :D So much better.

What did doing those alterations to the blade do to the tempering ? ...........I've got a nasty parang hanging about in one of the sheds...........

cheers,
Toddy

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I've got a nasty but the tang is way too small to do much with I think, mind you I know nothing of making knives and envy those who do, I would love to be able to turn it into something like that, it looks really great FF.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
NIcely done fishfish

I took the title of the thread literally and didn`t bother to open it at first.

Didn`t fancy a purse for some reason :eek:

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
thanks for the kind words chaps! the tempering wasnt affected as it was gound on a wetstone and cooled properly when it did get warm.
Sniper post a pic of the nasty with a ruler and ille tell you if its too short.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
thanks for the kind words chaps! the tempering wasnt affected as it was gound on a wetstone and cooled properly when it did get warm.
Sniper post a pic of the nasty with a ruler and ille tell you if its too short.

Ahh, I wondered if you'd had to retemper it and how you'd gone about it. I really can't use the nasty thing in the shed...........hmmm.

atb,
M

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Diamond Dave has Mik Penillion doing a similar thing with a real nasty Jack Pyke knife. Do doubt Mik will work wondes with it, but will it still be a crap knife at heart? Who knows!

Yours looks fantastic though, a real improvement. Is the steel good?

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I agree FF to make anything usable from it the whole thing would have to be reshaped and redesigned possibly into a small necker maybe or something, as I say it's a subject I have no knowledge or experience in. This is a stainless thing I got with a cheap and nasty sheath, I think it came from Malta originaly but says on the blade China and stainless.

R Doull

Tenderfoot
Aug 23, 2006
Scotland
Sniper.. just a thought but how about attacking it with a hacksaw and a file and trying to get it to this kinda shape.. (see pic)
Nasty.jpg

then I'd imagine a handle could be attached..

the result is a smaller knife with a longer tang..

I'm no expert and as yet havent tried to do anything with a knife.. it's just an idea..

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Yes Robin that is the same sort of thing I had in mind but it being stainless it would take six months with a file and hacksaw though, Lol.
I also thought about using a grinder but I think that would screw up the tempering of the blade. Again like you I am out of my depth here though.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
You could get a drum sander in a drill and use that to remove the metal. It was how I removed the most of the metal from the Opinels I did recently, and finished off on an oil stone and then emery to get a smooth transition.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE