Silk Liner Hennessy Hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Topcat1308

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2011
Wirral
Hi folks,

I have ordered my first Hammock, a hennessy explorer deluxe. I use a softie in the summer, but a carinthia defence 4 in winter and a multimat summit.

Now then, Question - a lot of talk about slipping off roll mats and using underblankets for insulation as does not affect comfort. Does anyone have any comments on the plausability that a silk liner under the sleeping bag but within the hammock would greatly increase the insulation?? or in the alternative do sod all!

thanks in advance.

Topcat1308

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2011
Wirral
I was right then ;)

Ive looked at the snugpak underblanket but cant see that you could use one with a hennessy - which i'm glad about in light of the price. Any experience with using a roll mat in a hammock?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I was right then ;)

Ive looked at the snugpak underblanket but cant see that you could use one with a hennessy - which i'm glad about in light of the price. Any experience with using a roll mat in a hammock?

The Snugpak UB works fine with a Hennessy, if it's the bottom entry (fnar fnar) you've got rather than the side zip, just push the blanket to one side as you get in and then once you lift your feet up it pops into place.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The Snugpak UB works fine with a Hennessy, if it's the bottom entry (fnar fnar) you've got rather than the side zip, just push the blanket to one side as you get in and then once you lift your feet up it pops into place.

That's worth knowing, was looking at making a uq for my hh but might just get a snugpak one instead.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Topcat1308

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2011
Wirral

I went with the zip - do you think arctic bag would suffice on its own? or is that worth next to sod all in a hammock?

Topcat1308

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2011
Wirral
Well the top bit of you will be warm but your bottom will be coldish. You need as much above as below in a hammock.

I'll fashion some sort of perpetual spit with just paracord and a multitude of half filled water bottles tipping and spilling all over the show turning me over during the night...or by an UQ.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
Mine is an early one but if it is still the same the Snugpak ub has loops for the Hennessy asym tie outs :) works fine with my DD, HH and Warbonnet not that often I don't use it, with TQ and a cotton liner for convenience to be honest. Bit bulky for backpacking but then can't bring my self to have smoke flavoured down!

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
They normally hang loosely when empty and then snug up more when you are in the hammock. Mine is never tight, but if it is too low you can get a wind tunnel effect, needs a bit of trial and error then you get to know what your setup needs to look like when you rig it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Sorry for hijacking the thread but do underblankets just hang underneath the hammock stopping wind chill, or are they tight against it like a coat?

They should be close enough to not to have any big air gaps, but then not too tight/close that the insulation gets compressed when you get in. Having bungee cord suspension helps a bunch with that anyway though.

PDA1

Settler
Feb 3, 2011
Framingham, MA USA
I use an USD8 blue pad from Walmart. Good down to at least 5 deg C. However, it is only 20" (45 cm) wide, so one's arms and hips are pressed against the hammock and therefore cold. I cut my 6' (180 cm) in half and lay the two pieces overlapped, side by side, to give a 3' (90cm) long, 30-35" (75-90 cm) wide torso pad. use a bit of string laced through and tied to stabilize it. AS an insulator, it is just as effective as a much more expensive under quilt. Some say the UQ is more comfortable. i can't say as I notice any discomfort at all with the blue pad. Also weighs next to nothing, which is really good for backpacking.

Topcat1308

Tenderfoot
Feb 9, 2011
Wirral
They should be close enough to not to have any big air gaps, but then not too tight/close that the insulation gets compressed when you get in. Having bungee cord suspension helps a bunch with that anyway though.

Do you think a softie 3 bag could be turned into an underblanket without cutting it up? There is a couple of clips on the bag but can't remember how many

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE