Silk Baselayers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
Hey guys and gals, just wondering if anyone has much experience with silk base layers/thermals. I want to use more wool in my layering, but cant stand the feel of it against my skin, so need something as a barrier. MErino can tolerate and I do have a merino base layer which is the buisness, but I'm still tempted to dabble with some silk.

I've done a quick google search and there seems to be a lot out there at quite reasonable prices - really just wondering if anyone has any experience with any brands or websites as I'm of the opinion buy once, buy quality.

THanks in advance

Colin

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I have a silk top and a pair of silk longjohns. Had them four years now and they work well. Not as well as merino imho, but well enough. Very light, reasonably warm, fast drying and wick moisture quite well.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've wondered the same thing. Haven't tried silk yet. I was wondering about using the silk as the next-to-skin layer with the next layer being the wool longjohns; I assume from your post, that's what you were thinking of as well. If you do try it, please post back with your opinion.

I have tried the Duofold thermals (a brand name0 that have two layers bonded in a single garment. The originals were a red union suit with an inner layer of cotton bonded (or perhaps woven) to an outer layer of merino wool. I liked them very much personally. Their offerings have vastly incrreased since then.

I cain't really link their site here but if you just google duofold it will come up readily.

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I've been using silk long underwear for the last 20 yrs. When the current set wears out I might try merino just for a change; not because there's anything wrong with silk. I am not always that keen on long johns and have found that silk pj bottoms (the old-fashioned sort) make very comfortable and warm undertrousers.
Also silk Ts are superb this time of year; very fine and wick away the sweat keeping you nice and cool. So light you can forget you have one on.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I really like the knitted silk as my innermost clothing layer. Even when it's hot it's comfortable, but it really comes into it's own when it's Baltic and you need to layer up but don't want to be immobilised like the michelin man.
http://www.patra.com
is where I got mine.

cheers,
Toddy

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Not used it for many years since my climbing days, but silk is (or was) wonderful. I use synthetic base layers with great success these days so can't see me switching back to be honest.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I was lucky enough to pick up four pairs of silk boxer shorts at a boot market new in the packets, great to wear winter or summer, not a bad investment for 80 pence for them all.

Totumpole

Native
Jan 16, 2011
Cairns, Australia
I've wondered the same thing. Haven't tried silk yet. I was wondering about using the silk as the next-to-skin layer with the next layer being the wool longjohns; I assume from your post, that's what you were thinking of as well. If you do try it, please post back with your opinion....

it is, and will do.

Thanks for the replys. I'd rather go with a brand that people recommend that picking something at random - so I will look into patra.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE