Roselli axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Edsmate

Oct 31, 2021
Dorset
Hello, has anyone got any experience with this brands axes? I’m tempted by the Shape, its got that ford Capri/English bull terrier love it or hate it look, both of which I love!!

Cheers.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I have had one for ages (with the older model handle). Great for its weight while splitting but not so great as a general purpose tool.

Edsmate

Oct 31, 2021
Dorset
So not a good carving tool that you can split with more of a splitting tool that could be used for carving if needs be.

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The edge angle is large (haven't measured it) so it does not handle well when cutting or carving. Works in a pinch but not really a tool for that. I have not tried any flat carving with it, it just might work there somehow.

Edsmate

Oct 31, 2021
Dorset
Thank you TLM, I think I’ll just re-handle my little Elwell And save a few pence!

Last edited:
Reactions: scruff

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
It looks as though it's quite useful when choked up but splitting certainly seems to be its forte. Given that I usually use a saw to process wood rather than an axe, I might give one a try, just to see if it's a worthy splitter. I like its quirky appearance and might find that I end up liking its performance. We shall see...

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I had one for a while and they are high quality tools but I agree with TLM wrt use. I found the edge profile made overstrike easy to do and I trashed the helve on mine a bit. Probably down to user error but less of an issue on axes with a large bit (like GB etc).

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So not a good carving tool that you can split with more of a splitting tool that could be used for carving if needs be.
I had one h its a little smaller than a small forest axe in length (shown against my comparable Wetterlings)

Roselli and Wetterlings by British Red, on Flickr

The problem for me is the blade profile. Its incredibly obtuse in angle, wider than any splitting maul that I own.

roselli profile by British Red, on Flickr

I liked the ability to choke up on the head but the angle is just too wide for most tasks

Roselli in hand by British Red, on Flickr

Hope that helps

Reactions: gra_farmer

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
So it is, in essence, more maul than axe. That's useful to know. I've ordered one with the shorter handle, purely for splitting purposes. I'll be interested to see how - or even if - it works for me. I'd imagine that, due to the head's obtuse angle, anything other than splitting will require a 'tweak of technique'; that, in itself, will be an interesting little challenge!

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
The head of the Roselli is very light weight so I certainly recommend the longer handle. Looks are very deceptive in this case.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I've had one for years. There used to be a review online somewhere, comparing it with the GB SFA. Came out pretty well. As others have said, it's not a tool for fine work, but, once you get the knack of it, it works surprisingly well. Amazing for splitting.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
For reasons still unknown to me, I decided I'd try one of these and duly took delivery of a long-handled version. I've been trying it out for a little while now and thought I'd offer my observations.

Yes, it is a peculiar-looking tool when compared with many/most other options in the field but don't let that put you off! I use my axe mainly for splitting wood and preparing material for the fire when I'm out and about and this fulfils that role to perfection. The head is light, when compared with others, but I have found that it is much less tiring to use as a result. It splits wood easily, despite this lack of weight and the comparative shortness of the handle but this last quality makes it easy to pack and carry, too. When used with a mallet, predictably, the blade symmetry allows it to perform brilliantly.

It is perfectly good at limbing trees where the short(-ish) handle makes it a very manoeuvreable tool. With a little practice, is adept at felling as well, though it is not perhaps in the same league as those axes dedicated to that activity. When choked up and challenged with some modest carving or feathering chores, it is competent but no better than that, although it is very comfortable 'in hand'; however, it reminds me why I carry a knife as well!

Have I regretted my purchase? Absolutely not. For my purposes, it ticks all the boxes. It is very well-made to boot, with a particularly pleasing mask. It is an easy, unobtrusive carry that, for me, is now my go-to chopping implement of choice for any of my exploits in the woods. If splitting is the principal use to which you put your axe, then I would recommend the Roselli long-handled axe without reservation.

These are my personal reflections on my experience with this tool. I have no connection with the company (who supplied me directly) and, lest we forget, other axe manufacturers are available...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE