Silicone sealant/white spirit ratio?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

digitracker

Mar 29, 2012
Leeds
I want to winterize my Swedish Army Canvas rucksack with silicone sealant and white spirit, had a good look around the forums and youtube and there is a lot of different mix ratios quoted. Has anyone done canvas with silicone sealant. and what was the preferred ratio of sealant to spirit. Just had the bag washed in the washing machine and it came up a treat, just want to give it a lick of sealant ready for the usual winter weather we get here.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I'm not sure if its practical to do the whole bag in this! Great for seam-sealing (thick slurry/gloop works fine), but not sure about full coverage....

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I have used a mix in the past, to be honest you have to mix it to what ever consistency is good for you. I have used silicone neat before too. If you leave it a few minutes after the initial mix, and then mix again you get a far better idea of how thick it is because its now dissolved. also I don't mean to be rude but your aware of the silicone on silicone and polyurethane on polyurethane rule ? One problem with the quantitie idea, how do you measure the silicone ? Leave what you don't want in a polyurethane pot and it should set and be easy to remove.

digitracker

Mar 29, 2012
Leeds
Thanks for your quick replies, I think I will do a 60/40 mix and just try a few seams inside the bag to see how things look, ( I took note of petrochemicals advice re mixing types of different materials), I use a bag liner anyway, just wanted to do a bit of sprucing up really.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE