Waterproofing using silicone lubricant spray?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
You possibly already know that you can waterproof fabrics using an emulsion of 100% silicone sealant in white spirit but I saw this eBay listing with what's labelled as a silicone lubricant being sold as a waterproofing spray. I searched and found this video marketing a silicone lubricant spray that also very briefly mentions that it can be used for waterproofing fabrics.

The cheapest place I know for silicone lubricant spray is Toolstation which sells 400 ml for £2.61 (orders over £10 are delivered free, FYI). Has anyone any idea whether this will work well?

If I want to go the route of the sealant mixed with white spirit, it seems the cheapest option is this eBay listing selling 286 ml for £4.84 including postage but it comes from the USA.

Philster

Settler
Jun 8, 2014
Poole, Dorset
I think the only problem with the silicon lube is that it doesn't go "off", always staying wet. Like using WD40 - it will work but may not be the nicest. At least the sealant sets hard - no stickiness.

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
White spirit is gonna stink, and take an age to dry, silicone will make whatever you spray slippier than an Eel! ( i should know my Basha is silicone sprayed!)

Fabsil, is best, but im a tightwad so go the silicone route myself, its cheap and water just doesnt stay on

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE